6.1 speaker setup

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by oharag, Apr 27, 2004.

1. oharag

oharag Extra

Hi. I have a question about my living configuration and how best to setup a 6.1 speaker system. I have an L-shaped couch configuration. I recently purchased a 6.1 HTIB. The rear speakers are I believe direct fire. How is it best to setup the rears? Obviously the center rear speaker would most likely be located in the center of the L-shaped couch facing towards the TV. What about the side rears? Should they also face the TV. One located at the end of the couch, the other pointing down the length of the second couch? I hope everyone understands what I'm describing :) I believe I've seen configurations where the sides go on the side walls of the rear section of the back couch pointing at the listener. My concern here is that the person sitting at the rear couch gets excellent audio effects, but the person sitting on the other section of the L-Shaped couch doesn't receive the same audio effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

oharag

2. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

Oharag. First off, congrats on the new toy. Take anything I say with a grain of salt.

This is where the fun begins, finding your sweet spot. Look at any diagram of how a 6.1 speaker config is supposed to work. Apply that diagram to your livingroom picturing in mind the sound emanating from the speakers in a narrow cone shape, now picture all those cones colliding on one spot on the couch and that my friend is the "sweet" spot. The size of the sweet spot is going to be roughly proportionate to the size of the cones in your speakers so in HTIB don't have high hopes for it having more than a one or two man epicenter.

Had that couch awhile? Position the speakers so the sweet spot is centered on the spot on the couch that matches your ass. It's your system, YOU enjoy it. Guests will still get the wow factor if it sounds nice, but you'll probably be the majority listener so position accordingly.

Now, experiment, experiment, experiment. Move speakers slightly this way or that, listen to your favourite parts in your fav films. Imaging is a subtle art a few cm can make a big difference.

Try to avoid putting the speakers ON the wall, especially if they have ports that will be blowing air back onto it. Chances are you'll have to make compromises somewhere. So, experiment some more over a cold one and have fun.

=)

3. oharag

oharag Extra

Thanks Wayde_R for the reply.