What's new

6.1 speaker setup question (1 Viewer)

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Well, now that I have a new Denon 6.1 receiver, I can now add another surround speaker. BUT, I want to know WHICH speaker I can add. Does it necessarily have to be another center channel speaker? It was my understanding that 6.1 setups add a rear center channel, but can you just add another bookshelf speaker?

I'm asking b/c for now I can add my old htib center speaker as the extra center, but down the line I'd like to upgrade all my surrounds (either JBL E10s or E20s for side surrounds), and was wondering it I'd have to shell out for another JBL center channel (not cheap!).

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
You do not want to use a center speaker as your 6th rear speaker. Perferably, use the same speaker as your using for your side surrounds.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do not is a bit strong. I used a center speaker for my rear center and it worked great. In that room, it sounded better to me than an identical monopole, but they were also stand mounted and 5 ft behind the seating position.

I totally agree though, you don't HAVE to use a center speaker.

I'm also of the opinion that identical speakers is a good thing; all my speakers in my now 5.1 config, are identical.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The same back speaker as your center is an interesting approach and may have some advantages in a system, but far from a must do. I'd more than likely try to match the other surrounds as already indicated by others in this thread.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I was remiss. You do not have to have a center speaker as your rear surround center.

As always, it's what sounds best to you. Maybe try using your old center and see what you think.

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I dont see why it would matter if it is timer matched and is positioned so its disperison pattern is correct at listening position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks