What's new

6.1 Side Surrounds Question (1 Viewer)

Alan Crull

Auditioning
Can someone please answer a question for me on the placement of the 6.1 side surrounds?

How critical is having the side speakers at 90 degree's or slightly in back of the seating?

I can only mount the side speakers slighty forward of the seating at around 80 degree's instead of 90-110.

Instead of this;

empty space
empty space
Main Seating

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
I do not think it is that critical. If they have to be about 80 degrees, hopefully they will be biased facing toward where you'll be sitting. Keep in mind that they are only for effect/reflections so they are not that crirical. You will still be able to hear the effect of soundthing moving front to back or back to front without any problem.

Alan Crull

Auditioning
Thank you for the response.

So even though they would be better slightly behind, they don't usually carry any directional rear sounds, mostly just ambient?

If a movie does have directional rear sounds in the soundtrack, does the center rear surround speaker in a 6.1 setup help with that directionality?

Just one last question please. From the Dolby website they show the rear surrounds in a 5.1 setup as being better slightly behind then to the side like with 6.1.
If I set the speakers up for 6.1, and then decide to use 5.1 instead on the receiver. Will 5.1 still sound good having the speakers slightly to the front and on the sides of the listener postion?

Thank you for your help.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
it's all up to preferences. I have a 7.1 setup and I actually have my side speakers forward slightly. It kind of gives me a more cinema feel, in my situation. It also gives the surround panning a good quality still.

But, like I said... it's all about preference and your situation.

Alan Crull

Auditioning
Thanks for the response.

How far back are your rear surrounds from your listening area?

Each side surround speaker to the center of the seating is is around 7 Feet. To the rear center surround the distance is slightly farther maybe 8.5 feet. The seats to a 50inch HDTV is around 10 Feet. The side surrounds are around 1-2 feet in front of the seating.

Does this seem to be OK?

---X---X---X---
---------------
---------------
X-------------X
-----seats-----
---------------
-------X-------

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
My sides are about 5 feet from seating area. Rear's are 6.5 feet. You should be find with what you have described. You should hear things on the sides of the room just find during movie scenes.

Alan Crull

Auditioning
Thanks for the help.

This could drive someone crazy. I guess I can only do what I can do right?

I assume your using dual rear centers? I've read different things comparing 1 speaker to 2 any opinions?

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
I have 7.1 with the side surrounds slightly in front of the listening area (in fact, they are very similar to what you describe). While I suppose it would be better behind the listening area, I think it sounds fine. As you said, you can only do what your space, setup allow. It is good to know that others have the same setup with good results though.

Alan Crull

Auditioning
Thanks.

I am setting this up for my father and I'm trying to do it as right as I can for his retirement enjoyment. I also needed some opinions so I can run the speaker wire in a drop ceiling before he gets his speakers. If I had a solid ceiling it probably wouldn't be a problem setting it up exactly, but I don't. I have two short walls, 1 long wall and only a 1/2 a long wall...so the side speaker has to be as far back as I can get it on that 1/2 long wall.

The more I visualize it, it seesm OK...because he might have guests or relatives sitting closer to the TV anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks