What's new

6.1 setup question (1 Viewer)

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Well, as I've been using the 6.1 system with only one surround back, is there a big benefit to using dual surround back channels? And would it still be beneficial if I hooked up my dual surround backs by splitting the wire from a single? like from the receiver to positive on one, negative on the other and then connecting the two that way? Is this a good set-up? Or would it be more beneficial just to go with a single surround back?

Thanks for any info you can give in advance!

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I use dual surrounds for my 6.1 system but that is because the room I have my HT in is 16' wide. If it was 10' or less I don't think I would have gone with two rear speakers.

Hooking up two speakers to one input could work but there are other factors involved. If both your rear speakers are 8ohms and you wired them in parallel then you would have a 4ohm load. If your receiver can handle a 4ohm load then that is the way I would go. If you were to wire the same speakers in series then you would have a 16ohm load, this is better for receivers that can't handle a 4ohm load.

I hope I answered some of your questions but if I did not then just hold on and the experts will be in to give there opinions.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Juan,

Out of curiosity, how would I connect the speakers in "a series"? My receiver didn't appear to have any problems with a 4 ohm load, but I definitely don't want to take a chance with that.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
To wire in series, go from your receiver + to speaker 1 +, from speaker 1 - to speaker 2 + and from speakre 2 - to receiver -. Think of it as a big circle as opposed to having both speakers simply hooked individually into the same receiver outputs.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Stephen,

I will definitely check it out and see how that works out for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks