What's new

6.1 setup question (1 Viewer)

engine58

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX V1000 receiver and have a few questions about the 6.1 setup. First, I need an outboard amp to power the rear center. I have two available, An old Sansui integrated stero amp from the 1980's. and a basic Kenwood HT receiver. How do I hook up the cables? There is one preamp center out on the Yamaha, where should I send it to? Do I have to get a "Y" adapter and connect to both right and left sides of the aux input? How do i hook up the rear center to the preamp? The manual for the Yamaha is sketchy at best. Thanks in advance to any and all helpers.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I would just run it in 5.1 and skip the hassles. I don't think you will notice any difference.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
If you really want to try it, you only need one channel. Send a single component cable from the rear surround pre-out to the left 'CD' input of the kenwood receiver. Set the Kenwood to CD, wire the surround back speaker to the front left speaker out. Make sure the kenwood is not using any internal EQ or soundfield. when you calibrate, set the surround back channel output (on the Yamaha) to 0db, and dial it in using the volume on the kenwood receiver. Put a piece of tape over the remote eye on the kenwood, so there's no possibility of losing your calibration. You can even plug it into a switched power source on the Yamaha, so you don't ever have any extra buttons to push when you turn it on or off.
I used a similar 7.1 surround set up for a while and it worked well. I've since downgraded to 5.1 because the new furniture has to sit against the back wall of the room. If your seating area isn't at least 3 feet in front of your surround back speaker, you won't be in the 'sweet spot', so it's not worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks