6.1 set-up

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ed*Wheaton, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Ed*Wheaton

Ed*Wheaton Agent

I have recently purchased a 6.1 receiver and am wondering what height the rear center should be,or does it matter?Right now it is about 2-3 feet behind the rear surrounds and a few inches higher.Should I have it tipped downward or lower it,or is it good where it is?

Thanks
    Ed

2. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

I jsut asked a similar question and did not have much help.
    this made me go to the dolby web page where they spell out with diagrams, optimum set up and alternative set ups for diferrent room configurations.

but having just been i can say that according to them, and they are considerd the athority your R&L surround sould be at the side and just behind your seating area pointed at each other ie r pointing twords the left wall ans l pointing twords the right wall and mounted or standing 2-3 feet above the listener. your 6th channel sould the be mounted in the center of those 2 at the sme hight just behind seating area.
    if you question this or need the diagram for reffernce go to dolby's web site allsound questions are answerd there

3. KevinCL

KevinCL Auditioning

I was on the phone with a speaker company Tech yesterday and this was one of the questions. It all depends on the type of speaker used. If your left and right are bookshelf type then they should be behind the main listening spot and above there ears in height. You can then point them towards the listening spot. If the speakers are diapole like Axiom's QS8 then they should be mounted on the side walls behind the listener and again above the listeners head.The rear center speaker would then be mounted straight behind the listener and above the head of the listener. From my understanding you are trying to get the best dispertion of the sound field.I think if you tilt the rear center down some towards the listener it will help.

4. Gary Mui

Gary Mui Agent

I originally had my 6.1 setup according to the 6.1 diagrams on the Dolby website. But I had to adjust it to fit my room.

Now I have my rear L/R speakers just below the 8' ceiling, slightly behind the main listening position, tilted slightly inwards (towards the front), and tilted down at the main listening position.

My rear center speaker is just a smidge further back, mounted on the ceiling at the same height as the rear L/R, and tilted down at the main listening position.

Before, my rear speakers were NOT tilted. Just facing straight. But I found that even though they added a nice ambient surround sound stage, it still wasn't that effective. Ever since I tilted them down, then the sounds are definitely more enveloping. It's probably because I've mounted them fairly high. But it would have been kind of ugly, awkward if I had mounted them only a few feet about the seated position. So do what you have to do, and compensate as necessary.

5. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

I agree. you have to do what works for you and your room acoustically and esthetically, but dolby gives you good guidelines to start from and ideas for different set ups to accommodate less than perfect mounting situations.

6. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    I use bookshelf speakers for R/L 3 feet above listening position (in line with seating position not behind) and angled down a little just like my rear surround.
    I had them behind and firing at eachother for awhile and I didn't like it.