6.1 Receiver with 5 Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wally, Dec 10, 2001.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

Can you run a 6.1 receiver with only 5 speakers (plus sub) leaving the center rear empty?

I'm thinking about using a leapfrog type upgrade path and replacing my aging DPL Sony receiver with the Denon 2802. I purchased a Polk system several years ago, but can't afford to make the jump with receiver and full 6.1 speaker upgrades at the same time. If I'm planning on making this receiver purchase last 4-5 years, what are the benefits of biting the bullet and going with the 3802?

Thanks!

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Sure it will work, a good set of speakers and good location will create a phantom rear channel and place sounds to where there could be a rear center channel.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My SR-6200 allows you to turn off the rear center if you do not have one. I would think the Denon might allow the same thing. For ES material the rear center sound is redirected to to the other two and gives a similar effect, but is not nearly the same as actually having the speaker(s) there. Yes it will work fine.

4. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the 2802 allows you to set the rear center to none, one, or two speakers. I just bought one and spent the weekend setting it up. I only have 5.1 speakers currently and it sounds great.

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Absolutely. Affirmative. Sure thing. Without a doubt.
    (Does any of that constitute a yes? [​IMG])