6.1 receiver that plays on 5.1 setup ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RussellTodd, Jun 2, 2004.

1. RussellTodd

RussellTodd Stunt Coordinator

Can someone tell me if there is a 6.1 reciever that plays on a 5.1 setup. I currently have a new BA speaker setup for 5.1 that is all the room and the wife will allow. However, I also have a low end older 5.1 receiver. My question is if I buy a 6.1 receiver will it work with my 5.1 speaker setup. I would hate to buy another 5.1 receiver and then replace it in a few years if I move to bigger house. However, from what I read on this forum it seems like I might be better of buying a quality 5.1 receiver that I can actually use rather than buying a 6.1 that a may or may not get to take advantage of at some point down the road. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Russ

2. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

I think most 6.1 receivers can disable the center rear. My kenwood has that option. I used it for about a year with that channel completely disabled. Moved out of my apt and into a house so I bought a center rear speaker, hooked it up and wished I had done that a long time ago. It sounds great! You might as well get the 6.1 if you think you will use it eventually.

Johnny

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    ALL 6.1 receivers can be used in a 5.1 setup. Get a 6.1 receiver, because you will still want the newer processing. I'd pay more attention to amplification and sound qualities than whether it has 6.1 or not though.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    My 6.1 receiver (Integra DTR 6.4) is hooked up in 5.1 (with Boston Acoustics, incidently). It also has preouts for 7.1 channels, should I want to upgrade in the future. In any case, as John points out, all 6.1 receivers can run in 5.1 configuration.

5. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Russell,
    As others have responded, yes a 6.1 receiver will operate a 5.1 speaker arrangement.
    Typically what happens is during the set up phase of your new receiver you will be asked to input the number of speakers you have. You answer accordingly and will be all set.

Let us know how you make out.

Best Regards, Al. Wise

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What John said.