6.1 Receiver Suggestions...Budget Concerns

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Right now my setup is based around a Sony DB840 which I bought about 1.5 years ago. As it turns out, my parents (I'm a college student living in an apartment) are setting up their first HT and they want to buy my reciever off of me...allowing me to get a new one. I'm looking for something in the ~600 range. I'll probably wait to buy something until May-June, so if there is something on the horizon...I could take suggestions there too.

I would do the leg work myself, but I really don't have the time now...and you guys helped me decided on the DB840 (which I have nothing but good things to say about), so I figured I'd just throw the question out there. Anyway, thanks all for the help!

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Jeez...I completely left out what I'm looking for. Definitely 6.1, and a plus would be component vid switching. The speakers used with this will be the Energy Take 5, and prolly another Take 1 for the rear center. If I've left out somethin (which is definitely possible) just tell me. thx...

3. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

4. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

You should see some good used receivers (like the Denon 3801, etc) hitting the market soon after the 950 arrives. Since you can wait till May or so, that may be a way to go. With a budget of $600 these should all be within your grasp.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Kewl...could you send me a link with specs for the Denon?

As for the rear center...then are there two outs for the rear center?

6. Matthew_Judd

Matthew_Judd Extra

You may also want to consider the upcoming Onkyo 600 receiver that will retail for $530 and should be out by the time you are looking to buy. I am also looking into receivers in this price range and this is one of the ones on my list (I am also looking at Denon).

7. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Check out Denon's site .. then go to "Home Audio", "Products", "Discontinued Products Archive" .. this should take you to this place hopefully .. you will find the 3801 there. The 3801 is similar to the 3802, but does not have DPLII.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Thx!
    Could someone provide a little more info on the 7.1 issue. Is this all about using two speakers for the rear center rather than one center channel? I'm sorry if I sound like a newbie...[​IMG]