What's new

6.1 Rear Center channel placement (1 Viewer)

Bobby_K

Grip
I just upgraded my center from the weak Bose VCS 10 to a Polk CSI 40. I have a 6.1 reciever, and Im going to move the Bose out back.

Note on the Bose: Its a decent sounding center channel, if you room is 6x6... It should suffice as a rear center.

My problem with placement, is my couch is right up against a wall, with an angled ceiling above. There is 0 oppertunity for correct placement, unless I want the speaker 3 inches from the back of my head (moving the couch forward isnt an option, im 12 feet from an 84" PJ screen)

Any suggestions? Im considering dropping it below the rear of the couch pointing upwards and hope the sound reflects nicely off the angled ceiling above. No matter what approach I take, because of the close proximity I will probably cut the volume by 50%.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
The best place to put the centre rear would be right behind the couch, pointing up towards the ceiling.

Use a SPL mter to help you calibrate the channel volume.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
When I added a Polk RTi28 for a center surround, I moved my couch about a foot from the back wall and got a B-tech BT-7 bracket for the speaker. The bracket lets me wall-mount the speaker without drilling into it (because it clamps the sides of the speaker) and more importantly aim the speaker down 15 degrees. After careful tweaking, I've found that adding 1 foot over the actual distance from the speaker to the distance/delay settings on my receiver helped cover up the fact that the speaker was so close to my head. Also, matching the level of that speaker to my others using my SPL meter was a must!

Now, in my case this was the only way I could do it. I'd have to agree that in your case putting it behind the couch pointing up is probably the ideal way to handle it. I would definitely pull the couch forward at least a few inches though. You'd be surprised at the difference it makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks