6.1 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_K, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_K

Jeffrey_K Agent

All,

I am confused about the whole 6.1 matrix, descrete thing. After reading the primers, etc., I'm still confused. I am thinking about buying the HTR-5560 from Yamaha as my receiver. However, it seems like it is only matrix 6.1. Now, I've read here that there is very little audio difference between the two, and that is fine. But my question is "can the matrix-only A/V play a 6.1 ES/EX (like "Lord of the Rings") in 6.1 or not"? I'm not sure if it can and in what "mode" it would chose to play it in. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks for your help.

// Jeff K.

2. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

The HTR-5560 does do discrete 5.1 and 6.1. The difference is that matrix is simulated surround like what you get from Dolby Pro Logic II. You use that when the source is not providing actual 5 or 6 channel data. Discrete takes the 5 or 6 channel data and decodes it and then routes it to the appropriate speakers. This is a simplistic explanation.

3. Jeffrey_K

Jeffrey_K Agent

The product description on the Yamaha web site says it is "6.1 Descrete Compatible", and I'm not sure what that means, exactly. So you're saying it has 6.1 descrete? Thanks for your response.

4. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Worry not. As far as I can see you definitely have 5.1 and 6.1 discrete processing. What the Web site probably means is that you have 6 channel preouts for future external processors if the technology changes. In other words, if THX or any other company decides that they want to patent their own form of multichannel processing, you can buy their digital processor and hook it up to your receiver so that it is now compatible with the new digital processing format. This makes your receiver obsolete proof to a certain extent.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No, this unit does not do DTS ES discrete. Lemme start from the beginning though, to clarify what these different "formats" (modes really) do. First off, Dolby digital is 5.1 period. Always. Dolby Digital EX is STILL 5.1. What DD EX does, is apply a matrix processing across the back two channels, the same way pro logic does to create a front center, and creates a rear center. DVDs that say DD EX are just MIXED with this in mind. You can still apply EX to ANY DVD to create a surround back channel. It would follow that DTS ES is the same thing, but they've mixed it up to confuse us all even more [​IMG]. DTS ES comes in TWO varieties, DTS ES matrix, and DTS ES discrete. The matrixed variety of ES workes exactly like DD EX does, in creating a surround back channel from a 5.1 DVD track. DTS ES discrete is a little bit more complicated, because it actually is a TRUE 6.1 format. There are 6.1 discrete channels that come off the disc. It is a little bit more complicated than that explanation in the ES discrete variety, but that's the way those three work. They are all backward compatible, meaning that you don't lose ANYTHING by playing them back on a regular 5.1 system.
    Again, your receiver will do the DD EX, which again is matrix processing, and DTS ES matrix. It will not do DTS ES discrete, but frankly, its a ridiculously small difference. Because it says "compatible", it may be because they didn't pay the royalties for the ES sticker, but I wouldnt worry about it. Hope that clears everything up.

6. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Thanks Chris for your clarification on this issue. I must admit that I am still learning too.

7. Jeffrey_K

Jeffrey_K Agent

So many terms to learn! Thank you John and Chris for your responses. You both have been a great help. But just to clarify: The Yamaha 5560 will play movies like LOTR in 6.1, only it will be matrixed. Not that I could tell the difference....

8. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Some of the Yamaha recievers seem to only do "Phantom" DTS-ES Matrix, meaning the "Matrix" ES is only an effect it does with 5.1 speakers. Some of the more expensive Yamahas do have 6.1-Discrete capability, however.

The Best Buy website (although who knows how accurate that is), lists the 5560 as having DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix, along with DD-EX and PL-II.