6.1 Problems!! Please help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim W G, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

I just purchased the following gear.
    Receiver : Pioneer VSX-D850S
    Speakers : JBL NSP-1
    Subwoofers : (2)Sony SA-WM40
    I plan to buy the JBL N26 soon for the front and move one of the N24's to the rear center.
    Now for the problem.
    I can't put my side speakers directly to the side of my listening position. STUPID DOOR.[​IMG] Could I put them higher and aim them towards my seat? What about the back speaker? Do I need to place it about the same way as the sides? I do have a place on the wall directly behind my seat that I can use. Would it make sense to put it on the ceiling facing the back of the room? I have a couple feet of space from my couch to the back wall.
    The only thing I have right now is the receiver. I'm still waiting on the mail!! I'm trying to get some suggestions prior to getting everything so I can try to map it out!!
    Thanks for any help!
    Tim

2. Mark Rodrigues

Mark Rodrigues Auditioning

Hi Tim,
    I am pretty much a newbie myself, but one thing I did find interesting regarding speaker positions was the Dolby Guide to Home Theatre Sound (http://www.dolbydigital.com/ht/Guide...ater.0110.html).
    Regardless of the answers you get here (which I know will be great) I would have a read of this.
    Enjoy [​IMG]
    Mark

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Do you have enough room to place the rear speakers slightly behind or slightly in front of the main listening position? If you do, this should produce perfectly acceptable results. I have my surround speakers positioned about two feet behind the main listening position, toed in about 40 degrees toward the rear wall with good results.

If this isn't an option, you could place them higher and point them slightly down and toward the rear wall; I don't like the surround speakers pointing directly at me (I prefer the audio to reflect off a wall or ceiling for enhanced diffusion), but there are no hard and fast rules. I wouldn't recommend placing them higher than six-seven feet off the ground as they will begin to lose cohesion with the front speakers.

The back-surround speaker should be at the same height as the left and right surround speakers if they're/it's on the rear wall. If there isn't enough room you could, as you suggest, attach them to the ceiling facing down and back to reflect off the back wall or near the ground facing up and back. If attached to the ceiling, back surround effects would also have a real sense of height.

Adam

4. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

Thanks for the help.

I can place the rears slightly (about 1 foot) in front of my seat. What if I put them there and aim them backwards? Would that would do the trick?

Thanks again,

Tim

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I think that would be fine. They could be positioned to face in directly toward one another or facing directly toward the rear wall (or anything within this 90 degree range) with good results. Facing them toward the rear wall would result in more sound behind the listening position (which is preferable) however.

When you get your speakers, try them out in a variety of positions. As I said, some prefer more direct surround effects while others prefer greater diffusion; both are perfectly acceptable options and entirely a matter of personal preference. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Adam

6. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

Thanks for all the help Adam.
    I'll definately let everyone know how it turns out[​IMG]
    Anyone else have any suggestions?