6.1 placement problem - help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Mar 11, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Ok, WAF problems aside [​IMG], I would like people's opinions on whether or not it makes any sense for me to add a rear center speaker to my small room. I have a 12.5 foot by 13.5 foot den/home theate room. One 13.5 foot wall has a couch and a window directly behind the couch. On the opposite wall is a wall entertainment center. On one 12.5 foot wall is a loveseat that forms an L with the couch. Each side of the couch is flanked by side end lamp tables. On the other 12.5 foot wall is a deck door that takes up a good bit of the wall (6-7 feet). I currently have my fronts and center inside the wall entertainment unit and my small Paradigm sub next to the wall unit on the left side. My rear surrounds are in the corners approx. 18-24 inches behind the sitting/lying position on the couch. These are Cambridge Soundworks S300s that are sitting on half moon shelves about 5 feet up from the floor. The WAF likes them there since the speakers are also half-moon shaped. And she is definitely against moving them forward and hanging them on the side walls (the 12.5 foot walls). She is also against hanging any more speakers off the back wall unless I put just one above the window. The window is in the center of the "rear" wall but putting a speaker over it would put the speaker about 7 feet off the floor and like the surrounds only about 18 inches behind the listening position - if that. Given the size of the room, and the restricted placement, is this not even worth doing? Is 6.1 becoming standard enough so that adding the speaker will add to the sound in the room? i.e. discrete affects directly behind the couch. I'd like to hear people's opinions on this possible setup and if I should just give up and start saving for a dedicated home theater room in my unfinished attic [​IMG]
    thanks,
    --tom

2. GaryCo

GaryCo Agent

I say give it a try and see what you think. I added the outlaw 1050 2 months ago and added a rear center right behind the couch on a ledge, the couch is away from the wall about a foot. Not the best, but enjoyable never the less.

I watched some of Air Force One tonite played through the 6.1 and it was excellent. I love 6.1 and some point i hope to have my own room to set it up "right", until then i am ok

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Anyone else have any thoughts or experiences with 6.1 speaker placement?

thanks,

--tom

4. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

A few random thoughts:

1) The SB speaker(s) would be 2 feet higher than the SR/SL. IIRC, this is good.

2) If you could, you might place 2 SB speakers on the back wall to avoid the perception that the rear sound is coming from the front (the purpose of using 2 SB's with 6.1 source?).

3) I've found that a SB speaker is great (a must?) if you listen to a lot of TV (DPL source), you are using direct speakers for the surrounds, and you need to support more than one listening position.

jdg

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John, thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, the WAF rating drops to 0 if I put 2 rears on that back wall [​IMG] She sort of compromised saying I could stick it above the window. We'll see.
    I should also mention that the ceilng is only 7 1/2 feet high and the area between the top of the window is only 9 1/2 inches wide. The speaker I was thinking of putting up there is only 5 inches wide so I guess that would leave it 3-4 inches below the ceiling.
    The CSW S300 surrounds have 3 modes but I'm thinking of operating them in direct mode since that is the only mode that supports 80Hz-20Khz.
    cheers,
    --tom

6. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Now I'm out of my depth, but how about setting the SB speaker to Dipole to defuse the sound (and small to move the bass to the fronts)?

jdg

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John, sorry I probably should have supplied more information to everyone. I currently don't have any "rear" speaker but do have a 5.1 setup with 2 side surrounds - the S300s. All my speakers are set to small to redirect bass to the subwoofer. The main issue with frequency range on the side surrounds is that in dipole or tripole mode, they have a listed range of 80Hz to 10Khz +/- 3db (or 15Khz depending on the source -I've done no measuring myself). This is because the 1 inch tweeter is not used in this mode but instead two 2.5 inch midranges that are on the sides of the speaker are used in conjunction with the 4 inch woofer on the front.

I currently don't have a 6.1 receiver but am contemplating a receiver upgrade (I have a low end Pioneer - D309 model) and am wondering if it comes with 6.1 support, is it worth it to try a rear "center" speaker given my room configuration and constraints. Part of my question is really asking how many movies are being released with 6.1 discrete using the DD-EX or DTS-ES. This is what I'd be most interested in I think - if that is where the world is moving to this year.

thanks,

--tom