6.1 or 7.1 Receiver options (submit your rant)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve K.H., Jan 12, 2002.

1. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Building a sound room, the right way. Have rear cabling in walls for 2 surrounds and 2 rear channels. Currently considering running the 2 rears in series as 6.1, but also considering maybe a 7.1 receiver.
    Receivers being considered are:
    Onkyo TX DS 797 and the 898 and also trying to find any information on this puppy...
    JVC RX-DP10VBK
    ...which can be purchased for much less that the retail listed.
    (fine print... powering Klipsch RF3-II's, RC3-II, and four RS3-II's. Sub to be determined.)
    All input welcome [​IMG]

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I have the same delima!
    JVC 10 = 50 pounds
    Sony DA5es = 47 pounds
    Onkyo 898/797
    Denon 3802
    Yamaha 2200/3200
    The JVC and Sony can be had for a good price and suspect they are great RCVRS. But they have not been out long enough to get a review from anyone.
    Both are the heaviest rcvrs on the markett.[​IMG]

3. Steve K.H.

I haven't looked at the Sony, will check it out.

The Denon's to me are a little pricier with less features... tough to get THX at a decent rate.

I'm gonna get flamed for this but...

Yamaha is great, if you're only planning on keeping the unit for three years. I have seen too many first hand concerns with their longevity.

I read somewhere that the Onkyo's don't require a fan...?

4. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Running Denon 5800 with MOnitor 9 as front, LCR-350 as center, pair od ADP-350 as sides, pair of mon-5 as rears, and PW-2200 - a year later and we still enjoy movies.

With upcoming upgrade and the fact that I paid less than 2500 for Denon, I am happy camper....

_zjt

5. Steve K.H.

Sweet Receiver,

I'm ballparking in the $1000 to 1500 range. This is kind of the threshold for getting a bunch of goods on a platform that will last. It would be great to get some input on the JVC...

6. Steve K.H.

Actually, here in Canada we have this model of the JVC.
    JVC RX-DP10VSL

7. Joris R

Joris R Auditioning

Also keep in mind the new SN R-963 and R-863.
    I've had very good experiences with the Newcastles and I think they are very good with music.
    Both the R-863 and R-963 have 7 channels of amplification.
    The MSRP of the R-863 is $1199,- and for the R-963 it's $1999,- . Both should be available for quite a bit less than that, I think if you try enough you could even get the R-963 under $1500,-.
    They both have bass management for the analog inputs, (think SACD and DVD-A).
    The R-963 is also shipped with a great remote, (Home Theater Master MX-500 I believe), plus a second remote for a second Room.
    SN also has a nice 7-channel power amplifier coming up within the next year, if you should want to upgrade your amplication within the next couple of years.
    For more info on their products look up, http://www.sherwoodusa.com
    About the products you mentioned,
    The JVC looks very nice, and feature wise it seems to be very interesting, I however never heard a great sounding JVC- receiver, that obviously doesn't mean anything, but I would want to make sure I heard one before purchase, just to hear if you like their sound.
    Also looking at the JVC's feature list, it doesn't say anything about Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS Neo, DTS ES matrix or discrete.
    So if those are important features to you, which seems likely considering you want to buy a 7-channel receiver, this would not be the receiver for you.
    Also consider that they are not using the latest digital processors and there is still is much improvement in that department.
    The Onkyo's both seem to great feature wise and very similar to the SN's I mentioned.
    I definitely like the Onkyo sound, but I would't say they sound better than the SN. I haven't heard the R-963 yet but I have compared SN to Onkyo before head to head and that time the SN came out on top in my perception.
    Obviously the 797 only powers 6 channels, for the 7th you need external amplification.
    I think if you would compare the amplification section of the 898 to the R-963 it seems similar at first sight.
    The Onkyo 898 is rated at 7 x 110 Watt at 8 Ohm.
    The SN R-963 is rated at 7 x 120 Watt at 8 Ohm.
    These numbers off course don't say that much.
    What seems more important to the sound is the Dynamic Power.
    If I compare the two again i get the following.
    Onkyo 898
    2 x 140 Watt per Channel (8 Ohm)
    2 x 220 Watt per Channel (4 Ohm)
    2 x 280 Watt per Channel (3 Ohm)
    They don't give a number for a 2 Ohm load, so I believe that would not have been an impressive number. (I think it would give the onkyo a bit of trouble if it gets a 2 Ohm load)
    SN R-963
    2 x 220 Watt per Channel (8 Ohm)
    2 x 430 Watt per Channel (4 Ohm)
    2 x 600 Watt per Channel (2 Ohm)
    SN claims these ratings were according to EIA Standard Rating.
    Off course these are only numbers, but they do give a bit of an indication.
    Good luck

8. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I like the B&K AVR-307 the best. To me it's the best receiver. But everyone has different tastes.

9. Steve K.H.

Thanks for the heads up...
    On review of the JVC it's DTS ES and Dolby Pro Logic (no idea if II or not).
    People on Epinions either love or hate the Sherwoods (ain't that always the way). I don't put too much weight in epinions though... it's usually people trying to justify to others why they spent a load of cash.
    (naturally some will state they like their purchase even if they don't; they're eating Kraft dinner in some instances due to hair brained purchases...[​IMG] )
    Sherwood's availability in Canada appears tough. Additionally, I don't see THX Select/Ultra/Ultra II on the Sherwood offerings. I'm leaning to the 898.
    (Someone go out and listen to a JVC and report back! [​IMG] )

10. Steve K.H.

AVR-307 [​IMG]
    And where can I pick one up for $1,299?

11. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Steve,
    I have the same speakers you do and i am running the Onkyo TXDS 797 with them. Awesome setup! I had tried the Marantz sr7200(had alot of the problems others did), and the Denon 3802. I liked the the 797 the best(the 3802 a close second). The 797 is excellent for HT and is good for music too(the SR7200 was the best for music). I use a Parasound HT amp with my 797(to bi-amp my RF3II's and power 2 rear centers) and i am very satisfied. A pair of SVS 25-31 subs w/Samson S700 round out the setup and I am in HT heaven! Good luck with your new receiver![​IMG]

12. Steve K.H.

Thanks for the input... love your sig (my wife is starting to figure that out)... [​IMG]
    Looking at the Paradigm subs myself, but I've a deal with the place where I purchased the speaker from that once the room is finalized (taping today), I can borrow different subs til I get the one I like.
    THAT's a reason to purchase locally. Maybe I'll pick up the receiver on-line but I would rather have a good rapport with a local vendor (the Klipsch vendor) than try and save a measly $200 from the deal I negotiated already.
    So 797 or 898 will end up being the choice.
    [​IMG]

13. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Well, if you're in that price range Steve, which I didn't see you state, but now I do, then I can't tell you. So I'll bow out now and wish you good luck on your endeavor.

14. Steve K.H.

As mentioned "All input welcome"
    Thanks again! [​IMG]

15. Paul A. Robinso

Hi....Steve the Current issue of "The Perfect Vision" mag

(Jan/Feb issue) has a review of the same JVC receiver..

I went with the Onkyo TX-DS898 over the TX-DS797. Why?

The DS898 offered 2-rear-surround (powered)chls, vs 1-chl

with the flexibily of 5.1 channels in the Main-romm

while re-assigning these same rear-surrounds to a

Zone-2/2nd-room area (With the DS898, I could

play/control independent Zone1 & 2 A/V source).

Also the DS898 offered Audio-only circuitry

(A great feature when running DVD-Audio/CDs)

Along with a sleek or more refined looking front panel

a 2nd rear Toslink-output..

Three months and I have not run to hot or heard the fan on.

The sound is warm not bright and the remote is quit capable. Onecall.com has the TX-DS898 for $1130.00.

I have not heard the JVC-RX-DP10V but the Perfect Vision

review can be one source you can get an answer.

Why the TX-DS898 over the JVC-RX-DP10V.....

The JVC-RX-DP10V has no PL-II or DTS-ES Matrix

The Component Video Swithing is rated to low(35mhz),

the TX-DS898 is rated at 50mhz (HDTV quality).

No S-Video to Composite-video conversion

Not as many A/V or Digital I/O's as the DS797 or DS898

16. Steve K.H.

EXCELLENT post Paul... Thanks for the time and input.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Earl Simpson

Good review from a buyer on another forum for the Sony da5es. And a place to buy it for $900.
    The Yamaha 3200 is in my view also.
    It is a tough choice between 3802, 797, 898, 5es, 2200.
    If I could get the Denon 3802 from an authorized dealer for the low internet price, I would do that($692).
    But thats a dream world. So we are left with Sony 5es/Onkyo 797/898. There are many authorized Internet dealers for these. The Sony is calling my name, but I have owned Onkyo before and know that it is the best of the best in quality and advanced features. Had one from my SE asia tour of duty for 15 years and had to give it away because it would not wear out! If they are half the company they were they are great.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Steve K.H.

19. Earl Simpson

THE ONKYO 898 has all the bells. The Sony has most of them. Denon is next and JVC last on features. Wouldn't it be nice to see these 3 rcvrs hooked up and do a comparison???

20. Earl Simpson

I have never bought a JVC product that did not work out of the box. Good company. But I'm leaning just a little at the 898. Realize its $300 at least more than the 3802!