What's new

6.1 Matrixing...how is it? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've got a Sony DA3ES, and was wondering how the 6.1 matrixed sounded. I'm going to buy a new center soon, and I figured since I've got the empty binding posts for a rear center, I might as well keep my old center channel, and move it to the back.

...but is it worth it? Any opinions would be great, thx.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I've been using a make shift rear center and even with that less than ideal arrangement, it is worth it.

Artie

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
It actually is great. Sounds that r supposed to come from behind is heard at the surround backs and not at surround sides.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Having graduated from 5.1 to 7.1 configuration, I'll say this...
-5.1 is excellent.
-6.1 matrix is subtley better (is subtley a word?) but not worth the entire investment.
-6.1 discrete is worth the investment
-5.1 in 7.1 config is IMHO subtley (there's that word again) not as excellent as pure 5.1 config (now my English is sideways:) )
I would not want to listen to a 5.1 track with a 7.1 speaker config if the sides were anything other than bipoles or dipoles.
There, confused yet?:D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Since I already have a 6.1 matrix reciever, and I need to get a new center to match my fronts...I'll probably go with it anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
I agree.. 6.1 is nice.. Listened (of.. and watched too :) )part of monsters inc last night (does not automatically trip dd-ex) and was impressed.. The scene where boo first cries in mikes apartment is pretty cool! All in all I am glad I made the investment in 6.1 (Onkyo 600) even some straight 5.1 movies sound kind of cool in 6.1.
jim

SvenS

Second Unit
I think 6.1 is indeed a noticable step up from 5.1 for DD-EX, DTS-EX, & DTS-ES tracks but NOT for 5.1 upconverted to 6.1. When you take a 5.1 audio track and let the receiver convert it to 6.1 you start to collapse the surround field. It is very noticably less impressive and best left in it's 5.1 setting.

As to the comment that Monsters, Inc. didn't trip the DD-EX flag, that is common on the DD-EX DVD's that they are not flagged properly but all you need to do is force your reciever into 6.1 and you get the correct surround audio. If you don't force it you are only getting 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks