6.1/7.1 worth if couch on back wall??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Rob Dawn, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be building a new house in the next year and will have the family room pre-wired for speakers.

We'll have walls on either side of the couch so the standard surround speakers will be easy to set-up - either on stands or attached to the wall.

But the couch will sit right on the back wall so I'm wondering if rear surround speakers would even be worth it since they would be directly over our heads??

What are your thoughts or experiences all...

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you're pre-wirring, I would considering wirring for 7.1. As for actually impleminting it, it's a wash. If your side surrounds are wall mounted fairly high, you could wall mount the back surrounds at the same height. If your side surrounds are on stands, you could always pull the couch a foot or 2 off the wall and have the back surrounds on stands too. Either way, your current receiver doesn't support 6.1/7.1 and your webpage mentioned your next upgrade being speakers, which is probably a wise move.

So yeah i'd wire for 7.1, but I wouldn't run out and upgrade your receiver right away to impliment it. Just keep your options open for the future.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'd consider using a single dipole on the center of the rear wall, and 2 surrounds one on each wall!

Brent

4. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered in-wall speakers? I've never done this, myself, but if you're building a new house from the ground up, it might be a good solution for you. I'm sure there are people on here with experience and advice on in-wall speaker installations.