1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

6.1 7.1 setup using 1 rear speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Emmett Maguire, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Emmett Maguire

I came across a single polk rt35i that should match my other speakers in my ht setup. I have rt2000p mains, cd 400 center rt10 surrounds. Can i use this single speaker as a rear and get satisfactory results. It should match my other speakers well with the same drivers. I have a denon 3801 receiver. Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Thanks and regards
    Emmett

2. Jon Shea

Jon Shea Auditioning

6.1 uses three surrounds in the rear, so use the rt35i as your surround center speaker. As for 7.1, the surrounds are in the rear, so youd need two speakers to use 7.1

3. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

Jon;
    Please keep in mind that electrically there's no difference between 6.1 and 7.1. There is only 1 rear center signal to decode. Whether you send that single signal to two speakers through one amplifier channel, to two speakers through two amplifier channels, or to one speaker through one amplifier channel is probably just a matter of taste and/or room acoustics.
    Unless you have a very wide room, a single rear center speaker will probably be just fine.
    Jeff Hipps
    Sherwood America