6.1/7.1 Receiver with 5.1 setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Todd Henry, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I only plan a 5.1 setup due to numerous factors. What advantage is there to buying a receiver with 6.1 or 7.1 outputs besides future upgradability. The better question is should I save money and get a 5.1 receiver since I will not use the other speaker connections?

2. Rob F

Rob F Auditioning

how big is the price difference?

3. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

You've asked a question with a lot of answers. There are reasons for both.

For 7.1:
    - some 7.1 receivers can do 5.1 and having two channels left for a sperate 2nd zone.
    - A low end 7.1 receiver usually has an easier time driving a 5.1 setup. i.e. watts/channel.
    - Upgradability is an issue. A 7.1 receiver will do 5.1, but a 5.1 will not do 7.1.
    - The newer 7.1 receivers appear to have more DSP options(Pro-logic,I, II, DTS...) Both for 5.1 and 7.1.

Fo 5.1:
    - you can save some significant coin going with a 5.1 receiver. Especially if you going with Denon, HK, Pioneer, Yamaha...
    - Majority of DVDs are 5 channel anyway. No conversion is needed.

I'm sure some of the other members can add to this list.

For your budget, I would look at the manufacturers web-sites (or factory authorized) for older reconditioned receivers. They sell them direct and with a full warranty. Also, take look at the new fully digital receivers from Kenwood, Panasonic, JVC... The new fully digital recievers have had some suprisingly good reviews, to the point that the higher-end manufacturers are looking to build their own.

My two cents.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

since pretty much everything will be 6.1/7.1 nowadays, just get the best receiver you can with the functionality you need. Make sure you set it up properly for the speakers that are (and are NOT) there, and you'll get everything correctly.

Upgradability is a very nice thing to have for the future, too.

5. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I agree with the folks above. Another advantage to getting a 7.1 for a 5.1 is that some receivers will allow you the extra two channels to bi-amp the front tow channels. Some people have realised sound improvements from bi-amping.

I believe the Pioneer 1014's extra rear channels can be used to bi-amp the mains in a 5.1 configuration.