What's new

6.1/7.1 Question (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Gonzalez

Stunt Coordinator
I recently moved to a house and converted a room to a home theater. I always new I had 6.1 on my Denon 3802 but could never use it since my last place was so small.

After mounting the rear speakers on the wall in my new place, I found out that my receiver can do 7.1. I use to have B&W 601's all around with a CC6 center. After upgrading my fronts and center to B&W CDM's I have enough speakers(601's) and space(18x19) to mount 2 rears.

My questions are.

Is it worth unmounting my back speaker to place 2 back speakers up for 7.1?

Would it make a noticeable difference(good or bad) in sound since there is no 7.1 DVD's out?

Thanks in advance.

Samuel Jimmy Gonzalez

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Just to clarify, there are NO 7.1 sources avaliable. It's all 2 channel Pro Logic/2, 5.1, or 6.1 for Dolby EX/ DTS ES sound formats. 7.1 is simply 7 speakers plus a sub where the two surround back speakers output the exact same channel information, but always come from a 6.1 source. IF there ever was a true 7.1 source, it would probably need a new decoder to utilize. (Iknow you knew this Sam, just want to state it to remind people).

You can go with one surround back speaker, just output it from the left surround back from the Denon. Go 2 surround back speakers if you have a large room with a wide space to cover. Also you could get a single bipolar EX speaker, but it sounds like you're covered with the B&Ws.

You'll only see a somwhat noticeable difference in a good sized room, where things will sound more spacious. Also it'd improve a little on Denon's 7 channel stereo mode, kicking 5.1 source to 7.1 playback, and maybe some DSPs, but that's about all.

I leave the choice to you, if you have the time why not utilize it. It may provide the tiniest noticeable difference, maybe even a good amount of difference in your room or perhaps so little it seems like none at all, but hey, it can't hurt.

Jimmy Gonzalez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Geoff,
You gave me the info I needed. I was not sure what signal the 7th speaker used since there is no true 7.1 source.
I did not know that the receiver just shoots the 6th signal to 2 back rears instead of 1. I will try it out tonight, I just have a thing about leaving the signal as pure as possible.
One last question that you might can help me with.. I have my speaker placement in a 9ft triangle(9ft from the left to right speaker and 9ft from right speaker to listening area) My side rears are 2 1/2ft above my head. Both sides are 9ft from me. My rear back is 8 1/2ft in back of me in the center of the rear wall.
When I mount my 2nd rear back speaker, should I put them right next to each other in the center? or space them out on the rear wall?
Again, Thanks for your advice and quick response, It helped allot.:emoji_thumbsup:
SJG

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Most people say space the rear surrounds 2-4 feet apart, this is just to broaden the sound field and make the effects less localized.

Jimmy Gonzalez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark,

I will place them 2 to 4 feet from the center(example: 2 feet left of center/2 feet right of center respectivly)

Thanks again,

SJG

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Jimmy,

Take the advice as a good starting point and don't be afraid to experiment. Who knows you may discover the next "trick" set-up and be able to share with us all. Good luck...Mike

P.S. If you have a few more speakers laying around the 3802 will power a second set of rear surrounds also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks