What's new

6.1/7.1 question and speaker placement (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Since it seems the next mass market move for receivers will be DPL II and 6.1 support, I got to looking at my family room wondering if I'll be able to ever have rear center speakers. What is the preferred location of these speakers? i.e. x feet behind the listening position? x feet behind the area of the current rear surrounds? Currently I have the rear surrounds mounted in the corners of the room about 2 feet behind the listening position (sofa) and about at ear level when sitting. Since they are aimed inward and are direct speakers (a pair of CSW MC100s), it doesn't seem to make any sense to mount rear center speakers on the same wall behind the listening position unless I move the rear surrounds 2 feet inward so they are at the same "level" as the sofa. I was thinking if I put a small shelf up the length of the wall (6 inches deep) and "curved" it around the corners, I could put the current rears at the end of the shelves and then place the rear centers on either side of a window that splits the wall in the middle. I hope I'm making sense and I hope someone can give me some tips. My room is a rectangle about 12 1/2 feet wide and 13 1/2 feet long. Viewing is done width wise (since there is a deck and deck door going in the other direction).

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks