6.1 & 7.1 How do YOU calibrate you spl?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by LaMarcus, Jun 24, 2003.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Since my Video Essentials dvd doesn't have a test tone for surround back, I had to try to reproduce that sb channel sound level on my own. But the trippy thing is my receiver gives out substantially different test tone levels versus the VE dvd.

So once I got the front and back set to the same level from the dvd, I took the spl meter and did test tones for the surr sides and tried to match the surr back at the same level just using the receiver.

How do you all do it?

2. Koren T. Wolf

try the THX optimizer from a THX certified DVD (Star Wars, Monsters Inc., etc.)

3. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

There's surround back on those? Ah man, all this time I coulda used that?

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I use Avia for 5.1, and then the internal test tones in the pre/pro for the rear channels, *normalizing* their output to the output of the surrounds (Avia vs the internal test tones).

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up has 6.1 test tones, and is basically a stripped down version of Avia. It is produced by Ovation, the makers of Avia.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I used Dolby Labs $20 + S/H DOLBY DIGITAL DVD DEMO DISC -
    The Explore Our World DVD demo disc ...
    [​IMG]

... Dolby Digital EX test tones, ... which uses the less jarring 75 dB Calibration SPL (Dolby standard for consumers) and a super, easy dedicated LFE test tone. Other included Test Tones is Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic-II and Dolby Pro Logic. Many of the perviously released DD-5.1 Trailers (from "We've Got the Whole World Listening") are included including 2 new Dolby Digital EX trailers, although no additional DD-5.1 music.

Dolby's DVD graphic living room and test tone DVD Remote Control Interface is far superior to S&V which I also have.

I checked S&V 6.1 test tones @ 85 dB and my REF Calibration Mark and speaker levels were relatively identical w/Dolby's DVD. I don't like S&V (& AVIA) LFE / subwoofer test tones so I don't even use that to REF Calibrate my SVS 25-31PCi.

Phil

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

8. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You could always calibrate the 5, then switch the back/side wires on the receiver and run it again.

9. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Thanks Phil I have that Dobly dvd, I'll calibrate with that soon as I get home.

Thank all for your suggestions they were all good ones

10. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

If you calibrate using a DVD test tone it will run the surround back channels both at the same time, if you use the internal tones of the amp it will send a tone to each sb speaker one at a time. Which one is the right way?? Should the level of both sb channels together be equal to the output of one side surround speaker, or should each individual speaker be the same.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

At least on the MC-8, with the internal test tones it is correct, and then it adjusts each channel down by 3 dB (so the total adds back up to 0) so the sum would still work for a DD EX/DTS-ES signal. I *assume* that most pre/pros and receivers would operate this way. [​IMG]

12. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Digital Video Essentials comes out July 15th and reportedly has the 6.1 test tones for both DD and DTS. Considering you can pre-order it for $18.74 at DVDempire.com, I don't think that's too expensive for anyone. I'm sure other sites have it priced similarly.

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hmm, is this the long-awaited followup to Video Essentials? I thought that was going to be priced for "professional" users (i.e. over $100) but maybe I'm getting it confused with the AVIA followup?

Well if true, I'll be getting DVE to complement my AVIA disc and add 6.1 testing. Kewl, thanks for the update Jeremy!

14. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I have a monkey wrench to throw in. I took the advice of fellow members and calibrated last night via the dvd mentioned above. Here are the results:

Dolby Digital demo dvd- A very cool disk, it had the tests tones for all the channels and a separate section for bass management. I set all the levels using this disk, it's even let's you focus on each channel separately, VERY excellent.

THX optimizer (star wars ep1)- Really didn't like this as a calibration dvd, it really sucked. But I did use it to see if it kept the levels the same as the DD dvd. It kept all the levels the same as DD, BUT when it came to the center and surr back the meter went off the scale!!! All levels were the same except those two.

So with that said I don't know if that's how it will be while SW ep1 is playing or if it's just like that during the test tones. When I get home tonight I'm going to use the Monster's Inc. dvd to see if it's the same as SW ep1.

15. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I'd ignore the THX optimizer and just start enjoying and playing all your DVD's now that you've REF Calibrated your HT setup using Dolby Labs EX test tones.

Playing Star Wars EP 1 or 2 sounded glorious, balanced and impressive with all the encoded 360-degree precise & ambienced effects with my Dolby Labs REF Calibrated HT setup! [​IMG] My latest DD EX DVD - Star Trek Nemesis also sounded "most glorious"!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Phil