6.1 (7.1) back to 5.1?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DavidCooper, Jan 16, 2005.

1. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

Ok...any of you guys go from 6.1 or 7.1 back to 5.1?

The reason I'm asking is I currently have a 7.1 set-up, and I do like the way it sounds I suppose, I just don't really notice all that much difference between reg. 5.1 vs. the 7.1 configuration. Everything is calibrated correctly with an SPL meter and my living room is fairly optimal for the 7.1 configuration (for a living room).

I have played with just using it on EX and ES DVD's...and also just running it in matrix mode for all 5.1 movies. I just can't tell all that much difference. My side surrounds image REALLY well (monopoles) behind the listener/viewers.

I guess I can leave them back there for coolness factor etc....but I have been thinking of using my pair of rear surrounds for a very small 2-channel set up in my home office just for playing vinyl.

Anyway...those of you who have 7.1 or 6.1 one...what do YOU think???

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

if you think you won't miss it, you probably won't.

try it and see.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I took 18 months to go from 5.1 to 6.1 to 7.1. I had a 5.1 system for over 5 years. I've had 7.1 for about 18 months. I have thought about going back, and essentially spending the same money on 5.1 channels of amplification and speakers as on 7.1 (to move up a little for the surrounds). But I haven't and I probably won't, although every now and then I still think about it. Why? [​IMG] Because I remember that (for me) both 6.1 and 7.1 filled in a gap in the rear soundfield that I didn't even know was there, until it wasn't. (Pans across the rear of the room are a lot more solid and discrete. Plus pans from the front of the room to either side are also more ... fully realized.) I do have Logic 7, and the real benefit with it is with a 7.1 soundfield.

If you think you can't tell the difference, simply disconnect the rear speakers for a while, and live with it with your current system. If you really can't tell a difference, then there's no reason to keep 7.1. But I would also ask, what matrix DSP are you using to listen to 5.1 DD/DTS DVDs on your 7.1 system? If it's not DPL IIx, then I would suggest *not* going back until you have experienced that first. IMO, THX Ultra2 among a lot of generic 7.1 soundfields that receiver and other pre/pro manufacturers have, do not properly do a 5.1 soundtrack justice on a 7.1 system. [​IMG]

4. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

It's a real good point.

Before DD-EX there was an awful lot of questions about bastardizing your ideal 5.1 configuration to get your 6.1 configuration up (unless you have a 7.1 with a Lexicon) and for the number of times you really used it, the question of trade-off was the point of many heated arguments.

I personally find most DTS material has a better soundstage, and I think it's not only due to the mix but largely in part because I configured my HT for DTS-ES as opposed to Dolby derivatives. Defined channels are (to me) much better than a matrix... If I was happy with a Matrix, I'd leave everything on Dolby Digital.

But to go back to 5.1? No... I can't go back now... I'd just be listening to what was missing instead of enjoying the entire experience.

5. Randy C Sr

Randy C Sr Stunt Coordinator

You are probably listening for a big difference. The differences are subtle, mainly movement in sound (front, side and back) and sound effects. I had a 5.1 setup that I modified using and old preamp (pro logic). I ran the surround outputs to the pro logic preamp to get a rear center channel. I eventually upgraded to a B&K Ref50 which has the 7.1 configuration. There's very little software available to take advantage of 6.1. I haven't found any 7.1 material. That's why you really have not noticed a big difference.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I did, and while I liked 6.1 (for about a year), I don't find 5.1 lacking comparatively. I didn't notice much of an advantage with 5.1 movies matrixed, but 6.1 movies, particularly DTS-ES movies, had plenty of good use of the additional speaker.

And you won't; it doesn't exist. There's a quite a bit of 6.1 material out there though, at least 100+ titles.

7. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I did notice a difference with Matrixed movies. Take for example Return of the Jedi. It is DD EX, which is matrixed. Anyway, there are scenes in there where I thought the rear center added a lot. If a ship flies over right down the center, it comes right through the center rear speaker. Even the scene in Yoda's hut, with the thunder and rain in the background, I like it much better in 6.1 vs 5.1.

8. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I was in a 6.1 set-up for a while, recently went to 7.1 (4x dipoles as surrounds).

I'd never go back.

9. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

I switched to 6.1 after using 5.1 for a long time. I would not go back. I have my single rear center speaker mounting high on the back wall pointing down behind the main seating area. There is about 12 feet of distance from my seating area to the back wall. I have dipoles mounted directly to the sides. The 6.1 fills in a gap that exsisted with 5.1. I watched Star Wars episode I last night. It sounded great.