6.0 system for $500 or less???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevinkall, May 7, 2003.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I currently have a mis-match 6.1 system and I want to upgrade all my speakers except my sub. I want to spend around $500(if possible). I will be using the Kenwood 6070 receiver and the Sony WM40 sub with these speakers. These speakers will be used for 80% movies and 20% music. Any suggestions?

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I would look into NHT superzeros on ebay. Sometimes you see them go for well under $200 a pair.

They sound great for their price.

-rob

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Two speakers that come to mind would be either six of these:
    http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B50.htm
    Or maybe give fluance a try. I have heard great things about them and they look pretty darn nice for the price. They come in five speaker sets but you can add another center if you want, or heck at those prices you can buy two sets and have a 10.0 system [​IMG]
    http://www.fluance.com/
    Good luck

4. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

You might want to look at Polk. The R20 is a nice book shelf. They are also CHEAP. I have seen them as low as 60$ per. They are perfectly adequate for a budget setup.

5. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

My suggestion is 5 Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's and the matching Diamond center.
    Althought it'll cost you alittle more than 500, (about 550 with shipping) it'll make one hell of a budget system.
    I have Diamond 8's all round and love'm.

6. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

I've got the Energy Take 5.2 speakers. I got the center and 4 surrounds for 420 shipped from Oade. You could get these, and buy another pair and sell the extra to someone out there (like me) who needs one extra take.

I contacted Energy about getting one extra speaker, but they pretty much said i'm out of luck unless I get two more... [​IMG]

7. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wish companies would offer 6.0 or 6.1 speaker packages since this seems to be the norm for newer systems.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Kevin I'd just go shopping for a nice bookshelf speaker thats about $175 then buy three pairs. That will give you the most seamless blend possible. There's a lot of viable options to look at in that price range so grab a favorite CD or two and go audition some models. My pick would be the Paradigm atoms but you might not be able to get them down there for that price.