$5k For Home Theater--Recomendtaions Please.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Morrison, Aug 29, 2002.

1. James Morrison

Jun 24, 2002
    I have 5k(give or take a few hundred) to spend on a HT setup for a room that is 17-1/2x22x9.

What would you recomend?

James M.
  2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Jan 17, 1999
    What components do you need to buy? Do you need a tv? 5 speakers + sub, receiver, dvd player, vcr, satellite receiver, PVR, etc.???
    Also, what are your entertainment habits? 50% movies, 20% music, 30% tv, etc.
    Any room problems or limitations? Such as, can't have a water cooler sized subwoofer, etc.
    We'll be happy to help...probably be suggesting the same stuff we all have! [​IMG]
  3. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

May 10, 2001

Is this exclusively for movies or is music important too?

Is your preference for bright, neutral, or warm audio?

How is light control?

Do you care if you buy used equipment?

Are you technically inclined?

What are the spousal limitations on box/speaker size and location?

You might try an affordable used data grade CRT projector with a digital chasis (Sony 12xx series, Barco 800/801, NEC PG series) + quadscan or iScan on a fixed DaLite/Draper 16x9 screen with 1.3-1.5 gain in the 6-7' wide range for video; one of the Denon receivers for audio electronics; and a decent/affordable speaker system along the lines of NHT or B&W's entry level models.

Of course, this will require light control to work; some skill to fabricate a mount; and the technial aptitude to learn CRT setup.
  4. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

Jul 19, 2002
    If you're starting from scratch... I can recommend the exact setup I have... It is right at $5,000... and it sounds great, everyone that has ever watched movies at my place has left very impressed.

Sanyo PLC-SW10 LCD Projector - $1,600
    HarmanKardon AVR225 Receiver - $450
    Pioneer 300 disc DVD changer - $500
    Polk Speakers:
    Fronts: RT2000s - $1,400
    Center: CS400 - $400
    Rears: f/x 300is - $350
    Velodyne CHT-10 Sub - $400

It produces a nice loud (and clear) sound... good for a big room. Alot of people will tell you that there something bad about getting Polk speakers, but for the money... I think they are hard to beat. I've watched movies in a lot of high dollar home theaters... and I think mine does just fine comparably... I couldn't be happier.
  5. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Feb 9, 2002
    I think a lot of it has to do with your sound:viewing ratio. If you are moreso a guru of sound in movies, you may want to spend more on the receiver and speakers. If you have limited space for a tv or what not, that will give you more to work with in terms of speakers.

At that price point, you could gather together a mid-line Denon or H/K receiver. There's also an endless amount of speakers you have for options. If possible, audition them and see what you like best.