5ive Days to Midnight

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Duane R, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

Has anyone else been watching this? It's actually entertaining (to me anyway) and has decent production values for a SciFi channel show. Kind of nice to see a few decent actors getting work (Randy Quaid, Tim Hutton, Nicole DeBoer).

2. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Cinematographer

Doug Wallen
    My thoughts exactly. I had been seeing the promos ever since January and was intrigued by the idea. I watched the first episode Monday and found myself being slowly drawn into this mini-series. Tim Hutton, Randy Quaid and young Gage Golightly(sp) are all playing very interesting characters.

Got my wife to watch on Tuesday and she also got hooked. Anticipating the conclusion this evening.

Glad I am not the only one watching this.

[​IMG] to the Sci-fi channel. They can do more than make Stargate.

3. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

I have to admit that Angus McFayden (sp?) makes a convincing bad guy. I'm also curious to see how it turns out.

4. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Add me to the list of people who have been pleasantly surprised at how engaging this mini-series has turned out. I've TIVO'd it and watched the first few hours and have gotten hooked. I only hope that the ending isn't completely depressing and nihilistic.

5. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

I've put the following in spoilers not because it IS what will happen, but because it's what I'd like to see and may contain spoilers that I've deduced on my own. Read on it you'd like...

I hope it ends with Hutton realizing that the universe will truly be destroyed as a result of his living, and choses to give himself up to destiny, to assure his daughter a chance at happiness.

End it with a funeral (in the rain obviously). The minister is reciting something, and the dialogue slowly fades out to "Time After Time" (the Smallville version). We see his friends crying, etc., then a shot of his daughter. A tear falls from her eye, but as we look into that eye, we see hope. She believes that this time, she might be able to change things... (she sent the briefcase.)

She tilts a black umbrella foward and the camera pulls back into the air as the rain falls around and the song winds down...

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I especially admired that the date it started on (and subsequently the girl's birthday and the anniversary of the wife's death) all took place on 6/7/04; the actual date of broadcast. It was a inventive bit of advanced planning that really drew me into the story more.

Hutton makes a believable and engaging everyman, and Quaid is finally being asked to do more that riff off of his Cousin Eddie character. He's equally engaging as the understated detective, and he plays off Hutton well.

The other characters are more standard TV fare, but that works. The first episode was still the best, before the whole mob boss subplot was introduced. It would have been far more interesting to see utterly mundane events conspire against him at every turn that a stockpile TV villian.

7. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

Not a bad turnout, IMHO. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll just say this: For anyone who wants to see it that hasn't, SciFi is going to rerun it in its entirety Sunday starting at 4pm (MST).

8. Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore Stunt Coordinator

I recorded this also. I watched the first two hours the second night before recording the 2nd installment and was pleasantly surprised. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

9. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

So can anyone explain why it was titled "5ive Days to Midnight"? What did midnight have to do with anything?

Overall I was pretty dissappointed. The show had a good setup with some great potential, but it seemed lazy writing got in the way and too many shortcuts were made exposing too many stupid plot holes. Bleh.

10. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

Just had to say my wife watched this and enjoyed it. I watched it on and off (been working a lot) and thought the acting and story were well above par for a sci fi mini.