What's new

5ch. amp + 2 ch. amp with denon 5800 which way to connect? (1 Viewer)

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, suppose you have a parasound 2205 amp (220x5) and a parasound 1500 amp (205x2) connect with a denon5800 receiver with B&W 804 front and 805 all around, how would you connect those amp?
1. using the 2 ch. for the front left and right and the 5 ch. for center and surround left right and back
2. using the 5 ch. for front left right center and surround left right and 2 ch. for surround back
3. using the 5 ch. for center and biamp the front left right
and 2 ch. for surround left right and use the receiver for the surround back.
if i want to biamp the front i think i can use the preout of the Left right of the 5800 and use a Y connect to the amp right?
thanks

Brandon B

Second Unit
I'd go with option 3. The Denon can easily drive the rear surrounds alone, and it gives you the most reserve power for punch. I assume youu're talking about passive bi-amping. If so, yes the Y connector will work.
BB

AjayM

Screenwriter
I think you have to define what you are looking for, for a dual purpose setup, or if you are more critical of music listening than movies than option 1 is an excellent choice, so when you are playing in stereo the other amp is out of the loop, plus you are putting the more powerful amp (although not by any appreciable amount) to the front speakers. However, looking at option 3 may be worth a try and see how it sounds.
If you aren't looking for that last 1% of sound, I'd still go with option 1 to put the power at the front, but the difference between that and option 2 is probably not worth mentioning.
FWIW, I have an option 1 setup now...although I don't have ES/EX processing, that's next on the upgrade list. So 2 channels aren't running now (and it wasn't worth it to me to biamp the fronts).
Andrew
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks