5803 Link

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geo, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I'm lovin the new Dolby Headphone Logo

3. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I'd love to know how the Denon Widescreen 7.1 mode works...is it an attempt to imitate Lexicon's Logic7, or are they merely duplicating the side surround information?. If it's the former, that would be a big deal.

4. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

According to the Denon 4802 manual "Wide screen mode" is used to achieve an atmosphere like that of a movie theater with a large screen. Effects simulating the multi surround speakers of movie theaters are added to the surround channels.

I'm not sure if it is intended to imitate Logic 7, I do know it works excellent on DirectTV 2 channel sources. I can say I slightly prefer it to DPLII, but I use both, as well as "Matrix mode", from time to time. If I had to choose a mode between the three of them to live with, I'd probably choose "widescreen"..............

geo

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Even though I own a receiver (until I can afford a pre/pro), I just can't fathom anyone paying $4300 for a receiver when they can buy some killer separates for that amount.

6. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

7. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I'm curious what pre/pro alone that does everything the Denon 5803 does can be had for lesss than 4K (new). I can't think of one. Somebody help me out here.

BTW, the new Pioneer 49TX will send OSD through the component outs.

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I could be reaching here but I believe you could use the Anthem 7 channel amp $1200 list combined with the Integra RDC7 pre/pro(can be found for $3k I've been reading) for $4k.

The RDC is proven to be upgradable has everything including the Apogee Clock, 7.1 inputs, not certain on the component inputs conversion that the Denon has, analog bypass, THX Ultra certification etc.

This is just one of many combinations out there however the one I'd lean towards.

If you would compare seperates to the New Pioneer Elite, that would be more difficult as its $800-$1k cheaper than the 5803 MSRP wise.

9. Eric Lo

Eric Lo Agent

An interesting observation on the tentative brochure of AVR-5803: Denon no longer mentioned any thing near software, firmware, or hardware upgrade capability of the unit. That leaves Denon a lot room to decide whether upgrade is a financially sounded option in the future without any legal liability, especially after all the complaints about the same subject on the AVR-5800 brochure.
    [​IMG]

10. Robert George

11. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I'm surprised more of you don't factor in the used middle of the road and high-end equipment market when making your electronics decisions?

Geo:

You said what separates could you get for 4k. One could easily buy the Lexicon MC-1 for 2,00 to 2,200 leaving 2,000 to 1,800 for 7 channels of various amplification...which could be easily done with used marantz monoblocks or new Parasound monoblocks.....various other amp configurations. It maybe tight, but can be done.

Good Discussion

Ron

PS: Please don't take any of this as separates are the only way to go...the Denon or Pioneer look really great.

12. Robert George

13. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

OK, say you got the B&K ref 30 and the Rotel 1095 (together easily for $4K). Agreed that the ref 30 doesn't have nearly the features, but in terms of pure sound quality alone do you think the Denon wins out?

So the Denon would have better sound quality than good mid-level seperates?

Some features are way overrated and impractical. If you look at some features like DTS-ES and Dolby-EX, very few films are even released on DVD that uses those formats. How many of these features are you really going to use? I say, even though sound is subjective, sound should be the number one reason one should purchase a piece of audio gear. Manufacturers of recievers are getting crazy, they keep on adding useless unpractical features like Dolby Headphone and driving up the price on these new flagship units. I wonder which company is going to be the first to list a receiver with a 7k price tag, man they are pushing the envelope when it comes to the price of these receivers. I think receivers like The Denon 5803, The Pioneers, Marantz etc. are making flagship receiver that can no longer be considered bang for the buck over separates, I think one should consider mid prices separates over pricey all in ones falgship receivers.

14. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

15. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

16. Danny Bonnell

17. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Danny:

Amen brother!! I was a previous owner of the 5700, great receiver. Now I have the Lex MC-1 and seven Marantz MA700's. The "WOW, what a difference" factor applies everytime I throw in a movie.

18. Danny Bonnell

Ron-

The MC-1 is a stout performer, even if it lacks all the newer bells and whistles. To be honest..I had to sit down and REALLY listen to hear the differences between the MC-1 and MC-12. It was not a night/day difference, at least to my ears. Seriously.

Now, when I upgraded from the DC-1 to the MC-1..it was very apparent..the MC-1 was so much smoother, open..so much more detail.

I was using Parasound amps with the MC-1, then after selling my MC-1 and moving into the MC-12...I used the Parasound amps with the MC-12. I then went and brought home the LX-7 amp from Lexicon, for a demo and it made a fair amount of difference- but man, it wasn't as night and day as what I thought it would be. I guess Parasound does make a good amp!

19. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer