What's new

5803 Link (1 Viewer)

Randy G

Second Unit
I'd love to know how the Denon Widescreen 7.1 mode works...is it an attempt to imitate Lexicon's Logic7, or are they merely duplicating the side surround information?. If it's the former, that would be a big deal.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
According to the Denon 4802 manual "Wide screen mode" is used to achieve an atmosphere like that of a movie theater with a large screen. Effects simulating the multi surround speakers of movie theaters are added to the surround channels.

I'm not sure if it is intended to imitate Logic 7, I do know it works excellent on DirectTV 2 channel sources. I can say I slightly prefer it to DPLII, but I use both, as well as "Matrix mode", from time to time. If I had to choose a mode between the three of them to live with, I'd probably choose "widescreen"..............

geo

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Even though I own a receiver (until I can afford a pre/pro), I just can't fathom anyone paying $4300 for a receiver when they can buy some killer separates for that amount.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Even though I own a receiver (until I can afford a pre/pro), I just can't fathom anyone paying $4300 for a receiver when they can buy some killer separates for that amount.
Ron,
Figuring the 5803 can probably be had for less than $4K,
what "killer" separates can you get for less than 4K?
A killer pre/pro will probably run you more than 4K, than you need the amps!!!!!!!
For example I wish I could get:
Integra Research RDC-7 with the
Integra Research RDA-7
for less than 4K...........
Now that would be "killer":)
geo

Robert George

Screenwriter
I'm curious what pre/pro alone that does everything the Denon 5803 does can be had for lesss than 4K (new). I can't think of one. Somebody help me out here.

BTW, the new Pioneer 49TX will send OSD through the component outs.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I could be reaching here but I believe you could use the Anthem 7 channel amp $1200 list combined with the Integra RDC7 pre/pro(can be found for $3k I've been reading) for $4k.

The RDC is proven to be upgradable has everything including the Apogee Clock, 7.1 inputs, not certain on the component inputs conversion that the Denon has, analog bypass, THX Ultra certification etc.

This is just one of many combinations out there however the one I'd lean towards.

If you would compare seperates to the New Pioneer Elite, that would be more difficult as its $800-$1k cheaper than the 5803 MSRP wise.

Eric Lo

Agent
An interesting observation on the tentative brochure of AVR-5803: Denon no longer mentioned any thing near software, firmware, or hardware upgrade capability of the unit. That leaves Denon a lot room to decide whether upgrade is a financially sounded option in the future without any legal liability, especially after all the complaints about the same subject on the AVR-5800 brochure.
:D

Robert George

Screenwriter
If you would compare seperates to the New Pioneer Elite, that would be more difficult as its $800-$1k cheaper MSRP.
Actually, Pioneer's website lists MSRP on the 49TX as $4200.00. Pioneer's dealer margins seem to be a bit better than Denon's however. So good, in fact, I'm looking for a good home for my B&K 307 with an eye on the 49TX (I have a friend that is a Pioneer dealer).

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I'm surprised more of you don't factor in the used middle of the road and high-end equipment market when making your electronics decisions?

Geo:

You said what separates could you get for 4k. One could easily buy the Lexicon MC-1 for 2,00 to 2,200 leaving 2,000 to 1,800 for 7 channels of various amplification...which could be easily done with used marantz monoblocks or new Parasound monoblocks.....various other amp configurations. It maybe tight, but can be done.

Good Discussion

Ron

PS: Please don't take any of this as separates are the only way to go...the Denon or Pioneer look really great.

JaleelK

Second Unit
OK, say you got the B&K ref 30 and the Rotel 1095 (together easily for $4K). Agreed that the ref 30 doesn't have nearly the features, but in terms of pure sound quality alone do you think the Denon wins out?

So the Denon would have better sound quality than good mid-level seperates?

Some features are way overrated and impractical. If you look at some features like DTS-ES and Dolby-EX, very few films are even released on DVD that uses those formats. How many of these features are you really going to use? I say, even though sound is subjective, sound should be the number one reason one should purchase a piece of audio gear. Manufacturers of recievers are getting crazy, they keep on adding useless unpractical features like Dolby Headphone and driving up the price on these new flagship units. I wonder which company is going to be the first to list a receiver with a 7k price tag, man they are pushing the envelope when it comes to the price of these receivers. I think receivers like The Denon 5803, The Pioneers, Marantz etc. are making flagship receiver that can no longer be considered bang for the buck over separates, I think one should consider mid prices separates over pricey all in ones falgship receivers.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Larry if you have the 4802 then you already have a top notch prepro in it. Why even think about 5803 or the Ref 30? You already have a winning combination in your hands with the 4802 and the Rotel. Stop thinking so much and enjoy what you have for years to come.
MD, Very well put..............
I think sometimes we get to caught up in the "latest and the greatest"
My 4802 is so good, with external amps of course, that it has made me "stop the madness" and just enjoy my system and the music. Ever since I received the 4802 I've been thinking, well if this is so good I wonder how the Pioneer 49tx would be or maybe the 5803 and on it goes. I think I'm going to take a deep breath, smile and enjoy. Let my 4802 with external amps get comfortable and concentrate on
UPGRADING MY SPEAKERS OR SOMETHING ELSE........... :D
Regards,
geo

PatrickM

Screenwriter
UPGRADING MY SPEAKERS OR SOMETHING ELSE
Geo I would have to agree that your electronics are pretty darn good and going from a 4802 to a 5803 wouldn't make a lot of sense and this is coming from someone who owns a 5800, which I hope to upgrade. I don't know what speakers you have now but an upgrade of your speakers will give you much more of a noticable difference than upgrading to a 5803 from what you have.

The only reason I would upgrade to a 5803 from the 4802 is the Burr-Bronw DAC's their putting into the 5803 but with the MSRP of the 5803 its an expensive upgrade for just the DAC's and really doesn't make sense unless you have a ton of money to burn.

Patrick

You said what separates could you get for 4k. One could easily buy the Lexicon MC-1 for 2,00 to 2,200 leaving 2,000 to 1,800 for 7 channels of various amplification...
Nice example. And for around 400 bucks more, you can find NEW MC-1's that you can trade in 8-12 months on the new scaled down MC-12 Lexicon is bringing out.

Yeah, maybe the MC-1 doesn't do all the surround formats that the 5800/5803 does..but irregardless..in my testing the MC-1 was sonically superior to any "flagship" reciever I heard it against. The MC-1 just gets better as you mate it with higher quality amps.

I have an MC-12 now..and for what its worth..having 2000 different surround modes is cool and all..ya know..the WOW factor..but in all reality..I have listened to ALL my DVDs in either DTS Logic 7, or Dolby Digital Logic 7. I really don't like all the other formats.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Danny:

Amen brother!! I was a previous owner of the 5700, great receiver. Now I have the Lex MC-1 and seven Marantz MA700's. The "WOW, what a difference" factor applies everytime I throw in a movie.

Ron-

The MC-1 is a stout performer, even if it lacks all the newer bells and whistles. To be honest..I had to sit down and REALLY listen to hear the differences between the MC-1 and MC-12. It was not a night/day difference, at least to my ears. Seriously.

Now, when I upgraded from the DC-1 to the MC-1..it was very apparent..the MC-1 was so much smoother, open..so much more detail.

I was using Parasound amps with the MC-1, then after selling my MC-1 and moving into the MC-12...I used the Parasound amps with the MC-12. I then went and brought home the LX-7 amp from Lexicon, for a demo and it made a fair amount of difference- but man, it wasn't as night and day as what I thought it would be. I guess Parasound does make a good amp!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to know how the Denon Widescreen 7.1 mode works...is it an attempt to imitate Lexicon's Logic7, or are they merely duplicating the side surround information?. If it's the former, that would be a big deal.
It works very much[at least on the current crop of Denons]like surround EX but it's effects are tweekable.In it's factory preset[max] it's sounds like that all surround effects come from the EX speakers.Once you tame it consideably it sounds "similar" to ES/EX set ups,and can be used with any program material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks