What's new

$58 DVD player at Radio Shack with Region-Free hack...plus $10 mail-in rebate! (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
How is the picture quality on this player? I'd like to upgrade to progressive scan and have multiregion capability, but I wouldn't want to replace my Pioneer Elite DV-05 with a unit that would downgrade the PQ.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I wouldn't mention Pioneer and Cyberhome in the same breath. The picture quality of the Cyberhome is passable, but not great.

A good progressive scan DVD player can be had for $80-$120 from good brands, like Toshiba, Panasonic, even Sony.

I am using the Cyberhome for one thing--multi-region, PAL playback. That's it. It cost me about the same as importing a couple of discs from amazon.co.uk.

But I'm not trading it for either my Panasonic RP91 or Denon 2900.

- Steve

Jon Torres

Second Unit
I just returned mine to Radio Shack that I picked up on Black Friday. I was getting 4 or 5 audio dropouts on some movies and that's unacceptable. I'll stick with my cheapy Pioneer.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Okay I was finally able to buy one of these puppies at a small town Radio Shack. Now, can someone provide me with links to all the movies that are not region 1 that are worth buying so I can take advantage of this region hack? The only movie I know about is City of God. Thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jimmy M

Second Unit
I just got one of these, and I can't seem to play back MPG files as it has been said I can. Is there something special that I need to do? I have burned them onto a CD-R and the extension is ".mpg". I put the disc in, it spins for a while, then comes back and says "Insert disc".

Jimmy!

John Swarce

Second Unit
I saw a Cyberhome DVD recorder at WalMart today. Model DVR-1500 for $250. Anyone know anything about this? Can it be made region-free also?

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Okay I was finally able to buy one of these puppies at a small town Radio Shack. Now, can someone provide me with links to all the movies that are not region 1 that are worth buying so I can take advantage of this region hack? The only movie I know about is City of God.
A little help? I didn't find much of anything in the Movies forum.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You want to check the "Regional DVD Area" for info about DVDs in other regions that are worth buying.

I can recommend "The Last Unicorn" from Germany, but a USA version is finally coming early in 2004. It might not be widescreen, though. If not, then you can get this via Amazon.de and it has English 5.1 soundtrack! :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
Just to let Canadians know, they have a whole pile of these at my local Canadian Wal Mart in black and silver. They are marked down from $59.00 cdn to $54.00 cdn. Picked one up and immediately ordered city of god from cdwow.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Best Buy has these. The website lists a $44.99 price, but in the store it rang $39.99. It still has the region hack, but the screen looks a bit different now. First line is region, hit enter to select 1-0, next line is password, last line is parental lock. No speed required when entering the code, just don't have a disc in, when it says "No Disc" enter menu-1-9 and the menu pops up. Very cool player :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so has anyone compared this to the apex secret menu player yet?

i have one of those but didnt like the image quality so much.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
They work fine for me, then again I have a 16x9 display.

- Steve

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I don't understand this not handling PAL 16x9 business. I have a 16:9 anamorphic region 2 disc and it plays fine on my 4x3 display from the CH300. I do, however, have the player set to 4x3 display as I only have it hooked-up via S-video currently. Maybe that's the deal - it's proper anamorphic that the player cannot do on a 4x3....?

N

Brent Lumkin

Stunt Coordinator
So I need to go to Setup, then DVD Setup, and just make sure the TV Screen option is set to one of the two 4:3 settings?

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Brent, tell your player it is connected to a 4:3 display even if the display is a 4:3 with the squeeze trick. Although you won't get the full anamorphic resolution this way, you will avoid this apparent issue with the CH300 playing 16:9 anam. discs on 4:3 sets. Again, I'm guessing as I have not tried the player over components allowing me to try a 16:9 setting.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks