What's new

57HX81: Tell me why I shouldn't buy it (1 Viewer)

OK, I've done most of my research, read what you all had to say here in the HTF, saved my pennies and am ready to get rid of my Zenith 27" for a proper HT monitor. With my $2500 I'm gonna buy the Toshiba 57HX81 unless some one here has a compelling reason why I shouldn't.

I'd actually be glad to hear from someone who has/had one and was dissatisfied with it.

Thanks,

Bob

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Robert, a friend has that set and he loves it. As far as I remember all the reviews I have read have been glowing, with no major issues. I was likely to make that my next set as well.

The one compelling reason I can think NOT to buy that set is: The 57HLX82 LCoS, scheduled for release fourth quarter. Three chip LCoS and 1080p native resolution.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
You might want to wait for the 57HX82, which is due out later this summer (I think). It's supposed to have DVI and will not upconvert 480p signals to 540p like the current model.

Brad_V

Second Unit
You want to be talked out of it? Ok, one word: "Ghosting."

If you look for comments about problems with the Toshiba, suddenly those comments will seem to be everywhere.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
What is this "ghosting" that everyone keeps talking about? I've had a 50H81 for 2 months now and I've never seen it - at least I don't think so. Can someone describe it?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Yes..ghosting......while not all sets have it, if I had a choice, I would wait for the next generation sets. I have a 65HX81 and it has some ghosting albeit tolerable.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Ghosting and upconversion image degradation. Channel 5 interference ...

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks