57HX81 or 65HX81? HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy Noel, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Randy Noel

Randy Noel Stunt Coordinator

I am going to buy either the Tosh 57HX81 or the 65HX81. I will be sitting approx. 10' from the screen. I looked at both in the store, and the 57" seemed a bit small. Don't know if that was because I was in a big showroom or not. $$ not the issue, I just don't want to buy the 65 and then regret it. Need your opinion please, because I'm having the wall unit built soon to fit the set I decide on. Thanks.

2. Jeff PB

Jeff PB Agent

I think the general recommendation is the bigger the better, and at 10' you should be fine

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Jeff is right. We sit about 9 feet from our 65HX81. At times, I find that thing seems smaller now....

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Let's move this over to the appropriate forum.

BTW, bigger isn't always better.

5. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

I'd suggest you ask your dealer to give you a chair and watch a sample of programming (Cable, OTA, DVD, HDTV) at 10' for a while on the 57" and then on the 65". This will give you a good idea of the in-home experience/field of view etc, of the different material.
    In-home it WILL look bigger (initially of course [​IMG]) than in store.

6. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

For me, bigger IS better. Displays tend to "shrink" over time so, if I had to purchase a new set, I would get the biggest that I can fit.

Of course, the step up from 57" to 65" is significant. There are general "rules" in viewing distance, but I don't really adhere to them meself as I have stated MY priorities above.

However, if cosemetics, overally room decor and balance, etc. is an issue, you have to be aware the the 65" will definitely be the focal point of the entire room. If it's a purely dedicated HT room, go for the 65", but if it's going in a "tea room", perhaps a smaller screen or plasma should be considered....Or, if it's going in a multi purpose activity room where OTA broadcasts and movies take up only about 50% of the time, the 57" is the safe bet. -

Elbert

7. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Bigger is not always better. Remember, a large screen will only serve to make flaws in an image all the more apparent. Your 10' viewing distance is, IMHO, too short for a 65" set and just perfect for a 57". This assumes a lot of 'SD' viewing - ie. DVD, satellite etc. Maybe with HD you could get away with such a short viewing distance on a large screen - but methinks that won't be the bulk of your viewing.
    Everyone wants as big an image as possible, but I think I'd prefer an image that is the right balance of size and quality. Big is not always better.
    /Jeff
    PS
    Be sure to make physical measurements of both sets if there are any unusual routes to the set's resting place in your home (ie. a basement). Whatever you get, you want to make sure it will fit!! [​IMG]

8. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I agree with Jeff in terms of the guidelines in regards to screen size and viewing distance. I, like many others, don't mind if we don't follow them to the "T". In a way, it's similar to the type of seats you normally select in a movie theater. I like to sit just slightly forward the center while many others like to sit further away. For me, even if the flaws are more noticable on an RPTV screen, the larger screen size provides me with more of a cinematic experience, which, IMO, is worth any trade offs.

After changing from an analog RPTV to an HDReaday set, I don't see scan lines anymore, so I'm definitely OK with larger sets.

9. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

Randy,

I have a Tosh 65" and my primary seating area is exactly 10' away. That distance works out just fine. Anamorphic material looks great with no visible scan lines, and when you're watching 4:3 material (older movies, TV or DVD extras) the screen size is also a good match for the seating distance. In fact, a 57" screen may be too small in this instance.

However, non-anamorphic material doesn't look as good, depending on the transfer e.g. The Abyss looks good but many others do not - they don't look "bad", just not as good. I have a second seating row on a riser behind the first row that is 13" away from the screen and I find non-anamorphic movies look better from that distance.

Bottom line, I don't think you'll regret choosing the 65.

10. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

I forgot to mention which set I'd recommend ... the 65".

You will get accostomed to the size of the set very quickly. Personnaly I have the 57HX81. My limitation is the restrictions of getting the TV in the HT room.

Again, I still recommend that you take sit infront of both set at the showroom floor. If the 65" is acceptable to you, then go for it. It will look much better once properly calibrated.

Cheers!

Mass