What's new

57 inch or 65 inch, which would be better from a viewing distance of about 14 feet. (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi all.

I haven't made up my mind whether to get a 57 or a 65 Rear Projector. The viewing distance will be about 14 feet. Would you recommend a 57 inch or a 65 inch set.

Also, how would you rate the Toshiba 65 H84 on a scale of 1 to 10, with a score of 10 being perfect.

Thanks in advance to all those who will share their opinion.

Thanks

Artie

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I own a Toshiba 65HX81 and watch from 8 feet. So as u can see, bigger is better and Toshibas r top rated among RPTVs. I've owned 2 already.
On another note,we're watching an 8 foot wide image off a projector from 14 feet. :D

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Either would work well at that distance. If its 14ft from eye to screen then I would go w/ the 65". If it's 14' from eye to the wall the TV will be against or from the back wall the couch/chair is on to the wall the TV will be against then I would go w/ the 57". Also keep in mind that at the larger size HDTV and Progressive Scan DVD will still look great but SDTV may make you want to read a book instead.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The 65". I'm at 10 feet back from 55" and it's perfect. 4 more feet back and a 65" would be fine. 57 would actually be small(to me).

Maurice B

Grip
Shane Martin said: "It used to be 1.5 times the screen heighth IIRC. I think it still is."

Only for those with a lousy display or lousy signal source. Or both. These days, High Res, High Lumen displays and PJs that put up a superb image can crowd that down to 1.25:1 easily. My clients with 9' diagonal (8' wide)16:9 Light Fusion Screens, and using PJs from the LCD Z2 up to DLPs like the BenQ 8700+s and Studio Experience 50-HDs regularly sit at 10' from a 96" wide screen and see NO SDE, artifacts, or pixelation. :thu:

Until they turn on the ol' VCR that is.

Yeech! Where's a DVDO Scaler/Multiplier when ya needs one.

Your results may vary depending mostly on the quality of the signal you deliver to your RPTV. I have a Client with a 72" 16:9 Mitsubushi that sits at 9' and enjoys the same size viewing aspect ratio as another Client who sits at 13' watching a 110" wide Painted wall screen. Both have DVDs with DVI HDCP capability, and HDTV tuners.

I stole their VCRs. Told 'em wicked little Elves took 'em.

mark alan

Supporting Actor

I would go with the 8 footer also. When you are comparing screen sizes in inches, you know that you are too small. Inches are for computer screens, feet are for home theater.

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up a 65H84 from Onecall and love it. I ditched the protective screen right away as it was terrible.

Haven't done a 56pt yet but with just Avia it looks pretty good. Very happy with the value out the door under $2K shipped

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks