56k question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Currently I have to use a 56k modem to connect to the internet. My ISP is Compuserve. The thing is when I log on to the internet my modem claims to connect at 115,200BPS. Is this connection speed slightly slower or faster than 56k?(what I should be getting.)I've noticed lately that my friend who is just down that the street from me also connects at 56k except his computer claims to connect at exactly 56000bps and my connection seems to be slightly faster than his(he is running a faster computer than me though, and he also connects with the same access numbers that I do to connect to his ISP AOL) so whats the deal? is my connection running faster than 56k? if so why? my system specs are a 1999 HP Pavillion with a 466 MHZ Celeron Processor with Windows 98 SE. Thanks.

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Your computer is not reporting the connection speed, it is report the port speed. There is a switch you can toss in the modem init string to report the connect speed, but I don't remember what it is.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mike is correct, but what you missed is that 56k is for BYTES, and the 115k is for BITS - of which 8 bits make a byte. If this is something that just 'popped' up lately I'd reinstall your modem drivers.

Glenn