56h80 picture quality vs Direct Views

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rafe Brennan, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Rafe Brennan

Rafe Brennan Auditioning

Related to my post below..
    I was looking at the 56h80 picture playing George of the Jungle and also Star Wars Ep.1, and next to it was an 80cm direct view 4:3 Sony playing the same picture.
    The Sony seemed a lot brighter and the colours more vibrant than on the HD rptv. Im seriously considering buying the 56h80 based on all the glowing reviews, but yet it's picture seemed duller and more muted than that of the bright vibrant sony.
    Is this just a case of having to sit down and calibrating the 16:9 with Video Essentials, or is this what u get when you compare direct views with RPTV's. I read pple saying that the 56" wd Hd rptv's will produce much better images than direct views are capable of.. yet it didn't seem that way to me in the showroom with the lights off.
    R.

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

The H80 is last year's set. H81 is the current model.
    Did you check the contrast and brightness levels of each set? Comparing televisions in a store is almost impossible.
    Brian

3. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Another thing is if you are looking down or up into a RPTV the picture will be a little darker and blurred. You need to be at eye level with the set to get the best picture. Plus the settings could have been way off to your liking.
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection

4. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

but...
    to be honest- direct view sets do produce a brighter image than RPTV's. Size is the real issue- if you want the bigger image you have to go RP. Don't worry about side-by-side comparisons, once you get it home you'll get used to the RPTV and there are advantages to this type of set. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast- you'll never get that bright direct view quality out of the RPTV.
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

5. Don Beverly

Don Beverly Extra

Two different animals, RPTV with larger screen shows more detail both good and bad depending on source. If you don't have and won't have good sources such as DVD's, satellite tv, preferably c band, and don't care about the big screen wow factor, stick with the direct view for more viewing consistency, it will not give you the best thats possible, but will hide the flaws of soso sources and perceive to give you the better picture.
    I use both in my set up with many varied sources using whichever setup gives the best visual experience and you must realize a lot of tweaking many be necessary before all is said and done if you're into it for the visual experience.

6. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Rafe:
    IMHO, a rear projo is capable of images just as great as a direct-view set. It is typical for RPTVs to have a slightly softer image than a direct-view - rarely do you see the sharpness you see on a direct-view set.
    Having said that, while you do lose a little )very little) in the way of sharpness, you gain so much more in image scope and size. Nothing beats the impact of a large image in a home theater.
    I will second the earlier comments about comparing TVs in the showroom. So many problems - first off, none of them have been calibrated properly (at least not in any store I've heard of). In the case of the projection set, the convergence was probably not correctly set. Proper convergence is essential for a good projection image. The soft and blurry image you reported is consistent with a projection set with poor convergence.
    Comparing sets in a store is also difficult because of the bright showroom lights - hardly ideal viewing conditions. Also, as someone else mentioned, projection sets never look quite as good if you are standing up, looking down at them.
    As an owner of the Toshiba 56H80 I cannot recommend this set enough. It is truly a stunning TV. With a quick calibration with either Avia or Video Essentials, you will be well on the way to breathtaking images. While not essential (the set is quite good out-of-the-box), this set benefits greatly from proper calibration, especially gray scale calibration.
    The 56H80 is a gem and I would highly recommend it.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

7. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

As an owner of a RPTV I just wanted to clear up something here. Direct views are not necessarily brighter and definitely not sharper than RPTV's. What most people notice when viewing a RPTV in a room with ambient light (such as a TV showroom) is the fact that a RPTV can not deal with as much light as a DVTV can. This has nothing to do with the RPTV brightness. Granted, the end result is the same if you watch TV with bright lights on, or have direct sunlight, but this is not a result of lack of brightness. In a completely dark room, a properly calibrated RPTV is every bit as bright as a calibrated DVTV.
    As far as sharpness goes, I really think it is no contest. HD-ready RPTV's are capable of much greater detail than non-HD DV's (if you're considering a HD-ready DV, then, why are you reading this anyway? Do it if you can afford it.). As someone who recently switched from a 36" Toshiba Cinema Series DVTV to a 65H80, I can honestly say that my picture has greatly improved in all aspects. I have made no sacrifices in going with a RPTV. Any sacrifices are the result of poor source material (i.e. DirecTV).
    Also, while this is just my opinion, I believe RPTV's appear more film-like due to the way it creates the image you see. A CRT based RPTV (as most are) uses three images (red, green, blue) projected onto each other to create one solid image. No matter how close you get to the screen you will never be able to see the color separation (as long as convergence is properly set up). With a CRT DV, if you get close enough, you will see the separation.
    Now I obviously may be biased since I own a RPTV, but I will say that I owned a high-end 36" DV for two years before getting it. I don't regret it for a second. I made no consolations with my image. Yes, ambient light can wash out a RPTV's image a bit more than a DV's, but this is not due to lack of brightness.
    Man, I take a long time to say simple things. Sorry.
    -Brett
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    My DVD's

8. Grady

Grady Extra

I have a Sony 36XBR400 and an Elite 510. Based on my experience the Sony has better contrast thus giving you blacker blacks and thus the impression of a sharper picture. This is the real advantage of a direct view, contrast that cannot be matched by a RPTV.
    That said the other issue is the quality of the source. The better the source, the more I prefer the Elite 510. The more you blow up a bad signal the worse it looks. On dvd's with problems, like the Magnificent 7, I move to the Sony. On reference dvd's, like the Fifth Element, the Elite is much more impressive. Digital cable looks better on the Sony. HDTV looks better on the Elite. I'm lucky in that I have a choice.
    If you watch lots of ntsc broadcasts and want the best picture for that I'd get a tube. In my opinion a conventional signal just doesn't have enough resolution to blow up on a 56" RPTV. It will look better on a 36" tube. But, if your main concern is dvd and HDTV then go RPTV. As time goes by I'm hoping we have more and more HDTV and I can watch my favorite shows on my Elite. But we're not there yet.