56H80 Glitch, has this happened to you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EGM, Feb 7, 2002.

1. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

I was watching Godfather 3 last night when right near the end of the movie my 56H80's picture seemingly turned itself off (i.e. the picture disolved into the center of the screen) then back on in Normal mode when it was previously in Full mode for the movie.

Frankly, this worried me a little bit, but everything seemed to be fine. All my preferences were still set, and the picture looked fine. The set was only on about 3 hours total, and has never given me any problems whatsoever in the six months I have owned it.

Has anyone seen this happen and know what is going on? Should I be concerned and act now, or see if it happens again before I jump the gun?

I really don't want a 200 lb. paper weight in my house in the near future.

Thanks for your help in advance...

GM

2. Kevin_Hassan

Kevin_Hassan Agent

Galen I have a 55HX70 and I've had the same thing happen to me several times. As far as I know, it is a phenomenon known as power arcing. It has to do with the guns (crt) discharging static electricity.
    Did it pop and then turn off? Followed by turning itself on again right after? If so that must've happened to me at least 5 times during the first 90 days or so.
    When I used to work at a Future Shop selling the Toshibas it was a common complaint.
    As long as you don't notice a change in the picture quality I wouldn't be too worried. My set behaves quite nicely now, and that is after being properly ISF'd.
    Good luck to you. [​IMG]

3. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Kevin,

That makes me feel a whole lot better. Now that you metioned power arcing, I think I did read a thread about that awhile ago, but it didn't stay with me.

Again, thanks for your input.

GM

4. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Deleted double post

5. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Galen,

My Tosh 65H80 does it as well. FWIW, I have reduced the occurance of this problem by investing in a nice line conditioner / surge protector (Monster HST2000). It has only happened once since I added this piece of equipment and that was the other night during a snow storm so it my not have had anything to do with the arcing problem.

Peace,

DM