56H80 and TW 1 Stretch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al H, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Al H

Al H Auditioning

The Tosh manual says that the Theater Wide 1 mode unevenly stretches a 4 x 3 to fill the wider screen and that most of the stretch occurs at the edges. The middle area remains minimally changed. I first noticed that I can see little difference between TW 1 and TW 3 when watching regular programming. When I do this with a test pattern (a large circle in the center of the screen) there is little difference between TW 1 and 3. The circle becomes oblong in both settings in the same way and doesn't seem to show less stretch in the middle. Has any one else noted this?
    Appreciate your comments.
    Allen

2. Tom Herman

Tom Herman Auditioning

TW1 on my 65H80 was poorly setup at the factory - way too much horizontal stretch near the center. I don't think my problem was uncommon. Unless you compare your Wide1 service convergence grid to either a screen template or to the grid dimensions in the service manual, you won't know what you have.
    Ultimately, adjusting all convergence grids' geometries per a screen template (either Toshiba's own, or homemade)is the best way to ensure the TV's geometries are precisely to spec.

3. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The TW1 stretch mode, as set from the factory, does not deliver on the promise stated in the user manual. You need to readjust the geometry, using the templates for that particular set, to get TW1 in line with what the manual says.
    Incidentally, TW1 after proper adjustment is absolutely amazing!
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"