What's new

563a v. sony 725 (1 Viewer)

Roy Jenkins

Auditioning
hi,this my first post here.I'm a home theatre noob,but I'm into audio recording so i can pretend to know somethings.

My question is I recently bought a sony 725 (the one thats usually $129), now that i've browsed this forum some i noticed the pioneer 563a plays dvd-a and sacd(which is something i want) so I'm thinkin I should take the sony back and get the 563a. I got a standard def big screen so small differences in picture wont matter much.Is there any reason I should keep the sony (other than savin 20 or so dollars :) )? and i'm assuming the 563a outputs the sacds in 5.1? If i go digital out to my reciever does it have to support the sacd format? I doubt it does its a cheap $400 sony.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I have the 563a and love it. It has 5.1 outs and you will only hear hi-rez through the analog outs(either stereo or multi). If you use the digital outs it is like cd quality multichannel or stereo.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When asking about specific DVD player models, please post in the appropriate hardware-related section. The Basics area strictly is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.

Also, Roy, I see that your post-count reads as "0." Strange. I will check to see what's going on.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
If you want to play SACD and DVD-A, then the Pioneer is the only inexpensive universal player out there. Toshiba and Samsung will be offering inexpensive universal players soon, but don't know when that will be.

However, there's a buzz over at AudioAsylum regarding the excellent CD playback performance of the Sony 725. Do a search over there. I purchased a Sony 725 for my mom to used with her progressive scan-capable big screen and the picture quality of this Sony is excellent. I am just using RCA-branded component cable from Walmart for the connection. I may have to "steal" it from her now.

Roy Jenkins

Auditioning
thanks for the replies. I read the post at audio asylum, I might just keep the sony and wait on the sacd player

john michiels

Auditioning
Although I've read March Perfecr Vision magazine's review and it did not give the 563 great ratings for CD playback they were not bad. I'm buying it because it's DVDA and SACD ratings were good. They also were surprised that the quality level of the video was as good as it was ....for this price range. They rated it a best buy for the money.
Once you go to hi rez audio your cd's may find a spot next to your old albums.
Good Luck

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Not to confuse you further, Roy, but Sony is just about to release a new range of DVD players, some of which have SACD capability. Might be worth waiting for.

These are the models:

DVP-NC875V
Progressive, 5-disc, DVD/SACD, due 8/04, $150 approx.

DVP-NS775V
Progressive, 1-disc, DVD/SACD, due 8/04, $130 approx.

DVP-NC675P
Progressive, 5-disc, DVD, due 5/04, $130 approx.

DVP-NS575P
Progressive, 1-disc, DVD, due 3/04, $90 approx.

Reference: http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/4422

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I just picked up an Pioneer 563A open box buy at CC for $70.00

as of late I have been getting great deals at CC and BB. the thing didnt even looked used or scratched and the batterys werent even used. works great and great deal. I love it and the video quality was better than I expected. now to hook up the SACD and buy one today.

Roy Jenkins

Auditioning
Ralp you should get a Bob Dylan sacd.

oryan , i originally posted this in the basics area it is now moved to audio/video sources. so i guess a/v sources would be the correct forum.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
Roy,

never been a fan of Dylan. maybe my age(35) is the reason. any other sugestions ? would like to get the Boston SACD but heard it was not that great.

Roy Jenkins

Auditioning
actually I'm 21, and think Dylan is great. Pink Floyd ,darkside of the moon in 5.1 has to be good.I dont know what most 35 yr olds listen to, hopefully not much 80s pop.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
im suprised someone 21 is into dylan considering the content he sings about is not of your generation. I find him boring but hey rolling stone likes him. :)

Pink Floyd is a must. I have DSOTM but need the SACD. we all know that. :) not 80's pop but gimmie the hard late 60's, 70's-80's rock or metal!!!!!!

Kevin*Ha

Agent
The Dark Side of the Moon SACD is what convinced me to buy the Pioneer player - it's awesome; like hearing it again for the first time.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I picked up DSOTM and it is great sounding! I picked up the DVD-A of Hotel California and heard things I didnt hear before, instruments.

Toto IV is excellent sounding SACD also.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
I have owned both of those players and now own the sony 725. I do listen to allot of regular audio and the Pioneer seemed to sound boomy to me on both DVD's and audio. I don't think it had bass boost but it sounded like it. Not to mention I had problems reading some burned DVD media. Picture quality were about even. The burned media is what made me decide to return it since I need to be able to read everything for video projects.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
I have owned both of those players and now own the sony 725. I do listen to allot of regular audio and the Pioneer seemed to sound boomy to me on both DVD's and audio. I don't think it had bass boost but it sounded like it. Not to mention I had problems reading some burned DVD media. Picture quality were about even. The burned media is what made me decide to return it since I need to be able to read everything for video projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks