563A Problem?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike:Corb, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Mike:Corb

Mike:Corb Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchases a Pioneer 563A dvd player and it seems to skip when viewing dvds. These are brand new dvds, and it only does it once or twice a movie and always in the same spot. I heard that it is becuase it is switching layers on the dvd or something. Is this true or what is wrong?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Layer changes have never appeared to me as "skips". They are a very short hesitation/stopping of the program while the laser adjusts to the other layer. They should only happen once per disc as there are only 2 layers on DVDs. While some users have been really ticked off about layer changes, I personally have no issues with them. It a matter of disc space and a short pause beats getting up and flipping over the disc...

Something else to keep in mind is that something called seemless branching could be involved. This allows a disc maker to have 2 versions of a movie/program on one disc. One version of the program is complete and the differences (like a director's cut version changes) are elsewhere on the disc. It's up to the player to quickly find and play the different material and blend it into the regular program. Some players are better at this than others.

It's also possible to have a dirty disc or defective disc. DVDs are not as immune to playback issues as CDs are because the track pitch on DVDs is a tighter spec.

And last but not least, it's possible your 563 could have an issue with it. But I'd make sure it's not one of the first three before blaming the player...

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Look at the packaging or disc you are viewing, they should indicate single or dual layered. A pause at the layer change is common, some players don't handle it as well as others. As noted, this should never happen more than once during a movie if it is a layer change. If it does occur more than once, then it is likely another issue.

One of the things I like best about my Denon 2200 is no visible layer change.

4. Mike:Corb

Mike:Corb Stunt Coordinator

I am sure it is just the layer change. I can deal with it, no big deal. I was just wondering if there was a problem with my player. I am pretty sure it only happens once per disc, I just watch movies alot and imagining that it happens more then once in a movie. Thanks guys. One more question. When I play a dvd in my player. When I take it out and it has been playing for a while it makes a little black smoke/burnt mark right around the innermost circle. It doesn't smell or anything. I am almost positive that they weren't on the couple dvds before I put them in. They could have been there before, but I doubt it. Im kinda scared I bought the wrong player. But I got it from best buy for $130 because I work there.

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I've owned (and own) several DVD players of various brands and they all get very warm when in use. But nothing even close to burning/scorching a disc. If this is truly heat related, something is wrong. But it could be already there (as you've speculated) or it could be something in the player adhering to the discs.

As to whether or not you bought the right player...IMO, the 563 is the best home entertainment bargain ever. And I've been buying and using gear for a long time. IMO, you definitely bought the right player!