What's new

56-point convergence on 50h81 (1 Viewer)

Mikey_K

Auditioning
I have a quickie question for you guys. I will be ordering a convergence template, however I've got a question regarding the 56-point convergence for my 50h81. Great set, first off -- absolutely wonderful television. I've been perusing these boards for a couple weeks now and have been mustering the courage to attempt the 56-pointer. My question is this: if I screw up during the process, can I turn the set off without hitting 7 on the remote, turn the set back on, and start from scratch? I've read this is true. Please confirm this, ANYBODY? :)
Also, I've noticed that the geometry is off just a tad. For instance, the top edge of movies with a 1.85:1 ratio isn't perfectly straight. If I, with a template, straighten out the green lines during the convergence and realign the red and blue to green, will this "problem" disappear?
Thanks for the help, gang. :emoji_thumbsup:

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Mikey,
I believe I can help. Although I don't have near the knowledge that a lot of the guys have here (since I'm relatively new) Yes, you CAN turn it off and start from scratch. I did! I have the same set and that's what happened with me.
And yes, when it's properly aligned (converged) the problem with the top edge will straighten out. I don't have a grid, but I did the convergence by the 'string' method and it took care of my problem. My biggest thing was getting the courage up to do it :)

SteveA

Supporting Actor
A word of caution: If you change any of the sets service mode parameters (such as HPOS, VPOS, etc) as part of your convergence process, these changes take effect IMMEDIATELY, even if you don't hit "7". Make sure you write down the original parameter values before you change anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks