What's new

55" HD Widescreen Mits without DVI? (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Hey all, about 2 years ago I bought a 55" HD Widescreen Mitsubishi rear projection for about $3000. At the time I didn't know about DVI. My tv doesn't have it unfortunately. If I had waited about 6 months, I probably would've made sure it had it. (It has 3 component, only one of which will do 1080i and the other two will only do 480p, and none will do 720 - strange huh?) I was however, wondering if anyone knew how expensive, if possible at all it would be to have my tv upgraded to include a DVI input. or should I just wait a few years and just hold out for a better one? I'm assuming that I should go with plan B, but I just wanted to know if anyone had a similar issue with their tv (finding out after-the-fact)or knew if it is possible and feasible to do it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jean D, I am in the same situation as you, but my TV is about 3 years old. I have the Mitsubishi 55-807 widescreen without DVI. You can get the "Promise Module" from Mitsubishi(installed only), for $999.00, the last time I checked. There's no way I'm going to pay that much, they must be crazy. I have my prog. scan DVD player hooked up to 480p input, & I have HD satellite from Dish Network hooked up to 1080i. I'm very happy with my picture. Hope this helps you.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Go with Plan B. There is no reason to upgrade to DVI on your current set. It will be cheaper to buy a new set that has DVI.

I don't have DVI and my set is about 18 months old. I don't think that I'm missing anything. I have HD Cable and a high end DVD player.

DVD players really does make a difference from a sub $100 player vs. $500++ player.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Most if not all folks(that I've talked to) who have a DVI input and a CRT Based RPTV have told me that having DVI is not a big deal at all. From my understanding any of the CRT based sets actually convert the DVI back to analog then back to digital so any gain that DVI would give you would not be noticable and be lost. A LCD or DLP set however is digital from the get go so its doesn't convert and the benefit is extremely big.
There has been 1 crt set that accepted 720p and kept it as such and that was the early Panasonics which that feature has now been dropped on. The only way to get native 720 is to buy a LCD/DLP/LCOS set.

Personally I wouldn't bother with it. I'd live with your set and make due until the Digital sets get their stuff straightened out. They have lots of issues as it is and they need to get their black level upgraded as well and that will come in time.

For someone like me who is buying their first HD set now, I'm going to get one with DVI but I won't use that input for DVD or Satellite anyway.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Thanks guys. Yeah, I don't have a problem with my tv anyway, I mean, I used to use the 1080i input for my xbox, but now I use it for my HD receiver I have with directv. and a fairly high end DVD player that I bought a few years back, its a Toshiba DVD-A/V one (silver) for the 480p input. The pictures are great. but I just was curious anyway. I'm definitely going to wait it out a while. I agree, that price is just utterly ridiculous for the upgrade. Oh well. Thanks again guys.

BTW, thanks for clearing up that 720 issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks