540p or 1080 i

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnPhi, Dec 9, 2003.

1. JohnPhi

JohnPhi Stunt Coordinator

What should I have it set to for HDTV and what should I have it set to for DVD

2. Michael_Q

Michael_Q Stunt Coordinator

You should probably try them both out and see what you think looks best.

I think 540p for DVD and 1080i for HDTV makes sense, but check it out just to be sure.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You cannot set 540P for HD signals. It just doesn't work like that.

540p or 1080i for SD signals only. At which point, simply pick which one is better visually. Sometimes, the 1080i in the TV adds more artifacts to the image.

regards

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

For me DVD - 480P
    For HDTV 1080i............

5. BrianLa

BrianLa Auditioning

Question: Do the HDTVs you are talking about have a menu option to switch between 540p and 1080i? I have a Toshiba 42H83, and haven't seen this option. Does anyone know if it converts everything to 1080i, or is the option a fancy name?

Thanks
    Brian

6. JohnSni

JohnSni Extra

My Toshiba (57H83) has the option to switch from 540p to 1080i.

You can only switch this when receiving a 480i or 480p signal. All other signals, I believe, are upconverted to 1080i.

For DVD I find it best to run my DVD in interlaced and watch film in 1080i. Animation seems to look best when converted to 540p by my television.

For the life of me, I can't see that the FILM/VIDEO 3:2 pulldown makes any difference at all.

7. BrianLa

BrianLa Auditioning

Thanks. If you say there is an option on the 57 then the 42H83 definitely doesn't have it. I vaguely remember reading on this forum recently that they didn't include that as an option on the 42". I just wanted to confirm.

I switched back and forth between 480p and 480i on Two Towers, and although the picture changed, I couldn't really decide which looked better. I think the 480i looked slightly brighter if I remember correctly.

Do you happen to know what that film/video switch does exactly? The descriptions I've read don't really say anything. I think Toshiba's words were 'provides a smoother picture.'

8. BrianLa

BrianLa Auditioning

Okay the below from Toshiba's website answers my question. In any IDSC Pro TV (which includes all the H83s, I think), 480i and 480p are automatically converted to 540p. On all H83s excepts the 42", you have the option to watch a 480 signal at 1080i:

IDSC™ Pro : IDSC™ Pro coverts all 480i and 480p signals to 540p. Since 540p and 1080i share the same scan rate, a single focus point is established and focus compromise is eliminated. Frame, Line and Pixel doubling are all used to create progressive, full-frame images from standard interlaced signals. Our motion adaptive Hyper Progressive Scanning system analyzes 13,600 points on screen to create smooth edges and eliminate "stair stepping" artifacts. The result is a smooth, film-like image that customer can enjoy even up close, enabling placement of a larger screen in a smaller room. IDSC Pro passes through 1080i images without alteration, and now accepts 720p images and displays them as 1080i.

9. BrianLa

BrianLa Auditioning

Interesting footnote to this topic. I was watching a movie with subtitles tonight. When DVD output was set to 480p, the subtitles seemed to shake. It was subtle but very distracting. When I switched to 480i they were nice and stable.