$ 540 for a water pump (Dex-cool) antifreeze

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josey M, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Josey M

Josey M Agent

This is suppose to be a very serious problem U.S. wide.
    My mechanic stated that he sees three vehicles a week with the same problem as mine or worse.
    My water pump went out on my 99 grand am.
    That Dex-cool that is orange and never has to be changed in 150,000 miles is the culprit. It (dex-cool) eats rubber, plastic, heating cores, plastic fan blades and turns into a thick sandy mess.
    I had to have my antifreeze replaced with ole faithful GREEN stuff and the old dex-cool flushed out of there.
    If you don't believe me go to dex-cool website and see all of the complaints and class action suits pending.
    If any of you have that orange stuff in your vehicle I would do a little research on it to do some PM before it gets in your wallet!!
    [​IMG]

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yeah, people put that stuff in motorcycles and it screws them up royally too.

3. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

$540 for a water pump!!! You just got ripped off. One of the best aftermarket water pump is around $150 made by flowkooler. I can install it on my jeep in minutes. Get the flush kit at pepboys which works good. 150,000 miles on coolant is pretty ridiculous, the green stuff also gets dirty too. Flush everything at 30,000 or a year which ever comes first. Pretty simple job, but messy. $540 better be with install.

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

The S-10s (and S-10 Blazers) have had some serious issues with their cooling systems and Dex-cool, too.
    $540, with labor, isn't so bad, depending on where it is. $150 for a FlowKooler is, though.[​IMG]
    Todd

6. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Well, everyone say, oh the flowfooler is so good and it well lower your temp by 15F. I looked at it closly and it was a GYB from kragen with a different fins. Although the flowkooler is working, I don't see any improvement. THe lifetime warranty kragen special is a pretty good water pump. I again its a little bit of a bitch to put one on a jeep. I have3 to take out the air filter housing, thermostat housing, power steering pump and gear, loosen the belt, take the belt off, clutch fan shroud, aux fan, misc hoses, clean the water pump area, take off the gasket, apply new gasket with the paper type and gasket maker.

7. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

Just had the water pump replaced on my '93 Cherokee Sport. The total proce was $225.00, and that included a new serpantine belt, anti-freeze (green) and labor.