54 - Any hope for a Special Edition?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DouglasRobert, Apr 7, 2004.

1. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

Just wondering if there is any hope for a 54 Special Edition from Disney?

2. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

I would seriously doubt it, but that's just my opinion.

3. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I'd like to see a director's cut, since Miramax really butchered this one prior to release. I'm not sure if a director's cut would be better, but it would @ least be an interesting curiosity.

4. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I would be surprised if one happened.

5. James David Walley

James David Walley Stunt Coordinator

After reading the history of this production in Peter Biskind's Down and Dirty Pictures: Sundance, Miramax, and the rise of Independent Film, I'd really be surprised to see an SE.

Apparently, 54 was originally intended as a quirky "little" picture, but Miramax (i.e. Harvey Weinstein) decided for some reason that it was going to be that year's "tentpole" production, and had it drastically re-shot and re-cut in order to "broaden its appeal" to the mall-multiplex crowd. Then, when the reworking failed to improve scores at test screenings, Miramax basically dumped it. From what I read in that book, Weinstein will generally wash his hands of his studio's failures, and especially of any picture he tried and failed to "improve." It's like he doesn't want to be reminded of their existence, and thus only grants them cursory video releases. And the thought of him allowing Christopher a "director's cut" SE is almost laughable...for, if it succeeded, it would only make Harvey look like an idiot for changing it to something that failed.

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I was going to mention DOWN AND DIRTY PICTURES as well. No chance of a 54 special edition after reading what is said in that.

I think the book also explains why so many Miramax films go direct to video or get a barebones release or aren't even released and sit on Miramax's shelf for years.

7. WillG

WillG Producer

I guess that partly explains why the film was so bad. I saw it in the theater for some reason, I needed to entertain someone who was visiting me and I don't think anything of interest was playing that weekend. Thought I might be seeing a film about Studio 54, but no, just another story about a good looking but naive kid who has success for awhile but eventually gets kicked to the curb because it's not realized that he/she is merely just an object. 54 and Steve Rubell were nothing by supporting players. Was the film originally supposed to be significantly different than that?