53" SONY HDTV settings....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Marx, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Dave Marx

Dave Marx Stunt Coordinator

There have been many postings about turning down your CONTRAST setting. There is no CONTRAST setting on the Sony HDTV...just PICTURE, BRIGHTNESS and SHARPNESS. Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but is the PICTURE setting the same as CONTRAST? Or is it the SHARPNESS?
    [​IMG]

2. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

No problem--Picture is contrast. You should initially set your tv to about 50% for picture, brightness, color and hue, and set sharpness to about 25%. Do this in all of the picture modes, but movie and pro modes should generally give you the best picture. Stay away from Vivid at all costs. If you don't have the Avia DVD to set the picture settings, you should pick it up. What TV model do you have?

3. Dave Marx

Thanks, Jeffrey. I have the Sony HDTV 53HS30. I am curious, why should I stay away from VIVID? It seems the colors are a lot brighter there...can that lead to problems? Anyway, I have initially set the PICTURE, BRIGHTNESS and SHARPNESS down to about 50%. I am hoping this will be sufficient. Lots of people are saying they should be down to 20-30 or so, but this seems too low to me, because it makes the picture quality look worse.

I am finding that the STANDARD setting might be giving me the best picture. The PRO is close, although I don't detect much of a difference. I am getting a Prog-Scan DVD player soon. I see that each separate setting in the SONY HDTV has either Interlaced or Progressive chosen. Will it automatically detect the Progressive signal of the DVD player, or should I go in and change it myself?

Thanks!

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Dave,

Interlaced, Progressive, and Cinemotion are different modes for your set's line doubling.

Interlaced converts incoming 480i (480 interlaced scanlines--the ntsc standard of regular tv) to 960i or 960 interlaced lines.

Progressive converts 480i to 480p.

Cinemotion converts 480i to 480p, and does 3/2 pulldown for film based sources when detected by the set. This pulldown smoothly converts the 24 frame per second film to the 30 frames per second used by video.

When you feed the set a 480p signal from a progressive scan player, it will display this natively and the DRC choices will not be available since they aren't needed for a 480p input.

If you invest in an HD tuner for your set, the tuner will feed the set 1080i when tuned to an HD signal, which the tv will also display natively. Again the DRC modes will be grayed out in the menu and not available.

The reason you want to avoid Vivid is that in that mode the set's SVM, or scan velocity modulation (an artificial edge enhancement process) is at it's highest level. This actually gives a less accurate picture.

Your set has 3 levels of SVM. It's at level 3 in vivid, level 2 in Standard, level 1 in Movie, and turned off completely in Pro.

In addition to SVM, the set has a number of other processes to make it stand out in showrooms, many of which actually are detrimental when using a good source like dvd. The Pro mode turns off most if not all these artificial enhancemnts, so it's the mode you want to use for your best sources.

Less perfect sources, like mediocre cable and overcompressed satellite pictures can actually look better with some of these artificial enhancements, so you can use Standard for them if that looks better to you.

5. Dave Marx

Steve...thanks very much...very informative stuff.

You seem to know a lot about this SONY tv. I am curious...how do you prefer to have your PICTURE, BRIGHTNESS and SHARPNESS settings set? Do you have them at less than 50%? Right now, I have them all at 50%, and I like the way the picture looks. Also, you seem to infer that PRO is the best setting for DVD...am I correct in assuming that?

Thanks again for all the valuable info...