What's new

523+ Best Picture Nominees in 365 Days attempt #2 (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Rose tattoo is one of my least favorite best picture nominees, for all the reasons you listed.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Re: The Rose Tattoo. James Wong Howe's cinematography is always remarkable. It won the AA for a reason. You really have to see a 35mm print, barring a BD of this movie (unlikely), to really appreciate it. Lancaster was really miscast here. Magnani refused the part on B'way because she felt her English was not strong enough at the time (1951), so Maureen Stapleton played her role opposite Eli Wallach.

Alibi is a fine, experimental early talkie, and Roland West is a director who was very well regarded by William K Everson, the noted film historian. I saw his very good 16mm print, probably better than the Kino DVD we've all seen.

Dr. Doolittle, which I saw in Todd-AO, is simply...I can't understand people's admiration for it. Its charms elude me. And I like musicals.

I do agree with you, Warren, that there were many other worthier films in 1955 than The Rose Tattoo that should have been nominated for Best Picture, but I still like the play and the movie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't seen the movie in so long that I can't form an objective opinion on it (for some reason, I have never bought it on home video; maybe TCM will broadcast it during their 31 Days of Oscar and I'll record it). But many regarded the play as a delicate, memorable drama, and the Theater Wing honored it with the Tony Award for Best Play. And that's saying something since Tennessee Williams never won a Tony for any of his other plays, even the greatest of them: A Streetcar Named Desire, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Sweet Bird of Youth, Night of the Iguana, Summer and Smoke.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
531 Films, 365 Days: Day 27, Film #33 - Schindler's List

View Date: 1/27/16
Universal, 1993

Genre: Historical Drama
Rated: R
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Staring: Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Finnes
Runtime: 3h 15m
Best quote: "Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire." - From The Talmud

I found out that today was Holocaust Remembrance Day, so in honor of that, I viewed Schindler's List.

Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson), a greedy German industrialist, takes money from the Jews of Poland to purchase a factory in Kraków, where he will produce metal pots, pans, and mess kits for the German army.

Itzhak Stern (Ben Kingsley), is his accountant and right-hand man. Initially skeptical about Oskar's intentions, Stern goes along with the plan when he realizes that this may actually be beneficial to helping his people. Soon enough, Schindler and Stern form a bond of friendship that will last forever.

Schindler makes a fortune by way of Jewish slave labor. But as the war trudges on, and with the horrific brutality of the nazi regime ever apparent, Schindler becomes increasingly more concerned with saving the lives of "his" Jews, even if it takes every last Reichsmark he has.

I was only ten years old in 1994 when I saw the Academy Awards hand out Oscars to a film about Oskar. In my naive ten year old mind, I was pissed off that Jurassic Park didn't win best Picture. Reflecting back, I feel so silly. I know I was only ten, But I still feel silly. I can't help it. Oh, how wrong I was.

The last time I viewed this film I knew what a powerful film it was. Watching it again, I felt even more emotion than the first couple of times I viewed it. This film is filled with powerful images that can't be shaken no matter how hard one tries. Digging up dead bodies, the ashes of the victims falling like snow, the girl in the red coat, the children hiding in the outhouse, horrific murder that randomly takes place... each and every scene is a powerful reminder of what occurred and what must never occur ever again. I ended the film with tears in my eyes. It is rare that I cry at a movie; I never cried the last time I saw this film, but this time... I did.

The single greatest achievement of Steven Spielberg's career, the crown jewel in his oeuvre, this film might not have been made were it not for his passion, humanity, and for a statement from studio executives. They asked him "why he didn't simply make a donation of some sort rather than wasting everyone's time and money on a depressing film." In retrospect, that in itself is a horrific statement; to disgrace the legacy of an honorable man who's story needed to be told just goes to show you the executive's shallowness and ignorance.

I won't lie. The film is incredibly depressing, yet it is also incredibly powerful. It's not a film that one can watch many times; myself I have only seen it three times before now, the last time being six years ago, January 7, 2010. Spielberg was brutal in his depiction of the nazi death camps, going so far as to show people being shot in the head and the blood pouring out.

This film was incredibly well made, and such a story deserves nothing less. Janusz Kaminski's eerie B&W cinematography is so perfect that it takes the film up another level. The varied shots he was able to achieve only made the story more powerful, and in some cases horrifying to watch.One scene I found tremendously moving was and upward shot of a streetlight as the ashes fell like snow.

What brings out the power of Kaminski's shots is John William's haunting score, with Violin solos by Itzhak Perlman. John Williams is the greatest film composer of all time, with the most iconic of scores to his credit. But this, this... isn't one of them. It isn't iconic. But it is damn powerful, and the best one of the year. It won the Oscar because it took the film and poked many, many tiny holes in it so that it rained sadness across every scene. It's like you can reach out and touch the sadness pouring out of your screen.

What helps add to the sadness is the evil of Amon Göth (Ralph Finnes), who is depicted as malevolent, shooting prisoners from his balcony with an almost joy. An evil, heartless man, it is the only enjoyable scene in the film where it is shown his execution.

On the opposite side are Liam Neeson and Ben Kingsley, who play the titilur character and his accountant. brilliant performances, powerful in their own right, they bring to life the these two characters beautifully, with their own form of power and passion. Neeson's performance is at it's best near the end of the film, where he sobs, "I could have done more..."

When I saw the end of the film, with Schindler sobbing, I head tears in my eyes. When the end came, and we see the grave of Schindler, with all of the Schindlerjuden paying their respects, I lost it. Several days ago when I reviewed Casablanca and gave it 6/5, I thought that would be the ONLY film to receive 6/5. I was wrong. Here it is. One of the greatest films ever made, one of the most powerful films ever made. Everyone needs to see this film at least once. A Masterpiece.

The Blu Ray

There is not one scratch, blemish or artifact present throughout the picture. Crystal clear, beautiful restoration.

Audio is likewise perfect, and crystal clear with nothing to ruin it.

Bonus Features

Steven Spielberg won't sign memorabilia or anything related to this film. He won't even allow Bonus features on the disc, except for a couple of informational piece on his Shoah Foundation that document stories of Holocaust survivors.

While I would love to see bonus features on this film, I understand Spielberg's reasoning behind it... to a point. You can still tell about the production of the film without dishonoring the memory of the people or what happened. This is a masterpiece, and although a very bleak story, the making of this masterpiece must also be documented.

There is one inclusion I find insulting, however, and this actually lowered the bonus feature rating. How could an included item lower the rating? Simple.

Included in the beautiful Blu Ray package was a card with the code for the digital copy of the film. Like I said above, this is a very bleak, horrifying film that can not be viewed many times. It just can't! So who in their right mind would want this film on their lap top? Maybe if you are studying it, or a scholar of film or history, but for 99% of the population, no one is going to want to take up space on their hard drive with a film that can't be viewed over and over again. This is insulting to the legacy of the film and it's contents, not an audio commentary or featurette on the making of.

Blu Ray: 4.5/5
Audio/Video: 5/5
Bonus Features: 2/5
Film: 6/5

Last edited:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
It was on the second viewing that Schindlers list really blew me away. The film is worth multiple viewings, and all the kewl kynical kids kineaste kritiques of the film really fall apart once you actually watch it and realize they're just pushing their agenda onto the film, and / or are critiquing their warped conception of what the film is, rather than the actual film itself.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
battlebeast said:
Included in the beautiful Blu Ray package was a card with the code for the digital copy of the film. Like I said above, this is a very bleak, horrifying film that can not be viewed many times. It just can't! So who in their right mind would want this film on their lap top? Maybe if you are studying it, or a scholar of film or history, but for 99% of the population, no one is going to want to take up space on their hard drive with a film that can't be viewed over and over again. This is insulting to the legacy of the film and it's contents, not an audio commentary or featurette on the making of.

I take a different view of this. Although the code coupons often display the sample movie playing on a laptop or portable device, that's not the only way that they're viewable. They can be redeemed for playback at most streaming and download sites, and many people now have digital libraries of their films. A digital copy guarantees that I can play the movie at any time, regardless of whether or not I have my disc with me. So if I loan a disc out to someone, or if it gets damaged or lost, I've still got the movie. I can also share my account with relatives, so if a family member felt like watching a particular title, they wouldn't have to wait to see me in order to do so. I don't think the inclusion of the code is meant to be diminish the film in any way, but simply to make it more accessible to anyone who has purchased a copy.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Spielberg previewed Schindler's List in Dallas. I sat there, transported into a world of evil and eventual redemption; hypnotized by the best supporting performance of the year from Ralph Fiennes (yes, he was robbed) depicting the banality of evil; thanking Spielberg for choosing B&W over color, which would have made the experience unbearable; and the plangent playing of Perlman's violin is indeed iconic and the moving theme is played in concert halls world wide. At the end of the screening, the audience left the theater in awed silence, as if shell shocked. I didn't see this masterpiece again until an excellent DCP played the Dallas area 20 years later. It affected me exactly the same way. The masterpiece remains a masterpiece.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
bujaki said:
Spielberg previewed Schindler's List in Dallas. I sat there, transported into a world of evil and eventual redemption; hypnotized by the best supporting performance of the year from Ralph Fiennes (yes, he was robbed) depicting the banality of evil; thanking Spielberg for choosing B&W over color, which would have made the experience unbearable; and the plangent playing of Perlman's violin is indeed iconic and the moving theme is played in concert halls world wide. At the end of the screening, the audience left the theater in awed silence, as if shell shocked. I didn't see this masterpiece again until an excellent DCP played the Dallas area 20 years later. It affected me exactly the same way. The masterpiece remains a masterpiece.
When I think of iconic film scores, this one doesn't come to mind... I think Star Wars, The Pink Panther, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark... this is a great film score, and I know it's probably played all over, but its just not one that immediately comes to mind.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Knowing the atrocities and loss of life that took place, and how vast the numbers that were not fortunate enough to be saved, Schindler's List can never be considered uplifting and your description of "depressing" is entirely valid.

Nevertheless, the potency of the human spirit, even against such odds and at immense personal risk for all involved, never fails to rouse triumphant feelings within me whenever I watch this master-film, which I consider among a shortlist of greatest ever made.

And yes, it also moves me to tears ...every time ...at multiple junctures.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
531 Films, 365 Days: Day 28, Film #34 - She Done Him Wrong

View Date: 1/28/16
Paramount, 1933

Genre: Comedy
Rated: PG-13
Directed by: Lowell Sherman
Staring: Mae West, Cary Grant, Owen Moore, Gilbert Roland
Runtime: 1h 06m
Best quote: "Why don't you come up and see me?" - Lady Lou

Lady Lou (Mae West), runs a night club in gay '90s New York City. She is the star performer, the one every man comes to see. Seductive and sexy, Lou must fend of suitor after suitor, including a temperance league member (Cary Grant) and an escaped convict (Owen Moore).

Like Yul Brynner in The King and I, this was the role Mae west was born to play. Based on the popular Broadway play, Diamond L'il, which was too risque to film, She Done Him Wrong was actually a toned down version of the play, and some consider it funnier. It was the release of this film that saved Paramount from bankruptcy in the early 1930s. It was that popular.

This was only the second film for Mae West, but the first starring role, and she is terrific. She plays well off her male counterparts, especially a young Cary Grant in one of his early films.

The film is good, with fine acting, but I must admit I didn't think much of it. I got the jokes, and I liked the story fine, but it was just an average film that didn't impress nor bore me. If you are a fan of Mae West, this film is a must.

The DVD

The 2008 Universal DVD delivers a very nice transfer of the film that, at the time, was 75 years old. There are some artifacts and debris present throughout the film presentation, but very few and far between. The picture isn't exactly crystal clear, but the greyscale is very good with good contrast. However, I found there to be too much film grain for my taste. Could definitely use a 2k remaster, at least.

Audi is also good, with no pops, hiss, crackle, etc, but it too could use a remaster.

Bonus Features

There are only two bonus features on this DVD. the first is an introduction by TCM host Robert Osbourne, in which he gives a brief overview of the film and part of its history. Second, there is a Walter Lantz cartoon, She Done Him Right, which is a parody of the film, and funny, too. A nice little inclusion. Too bad there is no trailer. An audio commentary would have been nice, too...

DVD: 3.5/5
Audio/Video: 4/5

Film: 3.5/5

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
531 Films, 365 Days: Day 29, Film #35 - Apollo 13

View Date: 1/29/16
Universal, 1995

Genre: Drama (Science non-Fiction?)
Rated: PG
Directed by: Ron Howard
Staring: Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinese, Ed Harris, Kathleen Quinlan
Runtime: 2h 20m
Best quote: "Huston, we have a problem." - Jim Lovell

After Apollo 11 allegedly landed on the moon, and after Apollo 12 went back, going to the moon became routine to the American people. America had seemingly done the impossible and beat the Soviets in the space race, and then, they went back. But the third time, nobody tuned in. And the Apollo 13 broadcast to America wasn't shown on TV. Nobody cared.

Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks), was choosen to lead the crew of Apollo 13, the next mission to the moon. With Fred Haise (Bill Paxton) and Jack Swigert (Kevin Bacon) on his team, Lovell was in good hands. LIftoff occurs, and the rocket blasts off from Florida towards the moon and the final frontier. But when a routine maneuver causes an explosion that cripples their vehicle, NASA scientists must come up with a way to bring the men safely back to Earth. Now they are watching. Now they care.

Apollo 13 is a fascinating portrait of space, and what it was like to go to the moon. Director Ron Howard did a brilliant job with many talented people in order to achieve the realism of being in space. Whatever the actors and crew did, it worked very well. With all the camera trickery, we actually believe that Tom Hanks is in space. We believe that he really is in a space capsule between the Earth and the moon, as the sets they built to resemble Odessy and Aquarius modules look amazing.

Where the Right Stuff gave us the astronauts, Apollo 13 took us "far, beyond the stars, near, beyond the moon." The visual effects of this film takes us into outer space, on board the rocket and space capsules like no other film until then had ever done. This film is a terrific example of the power of visual effects and what they can do for a film. It's a terrible shame Ron Howard wasn't nominated for directing this film, because he sure as hell deserved a nod.

I love this film. Space exploration fascinates me. Planets, the moon, aliens, what lies beyond... it just gets me thinking. I would love to be able to go into space one day and see the Earth from thousands of kilometers above. I know I never will, so I go vicariously through films like this, and like Gravity.

The Apollo 13 incident gripped a nation and, indeed, the whole world. It told us that space flight isn't easy and, in fact, very dangerous. I write this 30 years and one day after the Challenger crew "slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God." This film is a portrait of a time, a testament to the brave men and women who have come and gone, who dared to dream, who dared to explore.

The Blu Ray

I viewed the 15th anniversary Blu Ray, not the 20th anniversary Blu Ray, so my comments are on that one. What I saw was a beautiful picture, crystal clear, with no artifacts or debris, etc. Perfect image.

Audio is likewise perfect.

Bonus Features:

There are two audio commentaries, one with Ron Howard and one with Jim and Marilyn Lovell. There are three in-depth documentaries:
  • Lost Moon: The Triumph of Apollo 13
  • Conquering Space: The Moon and Beyond
  • Lucky 13: The Astronaut's Story
As well as the film's trailer and two "U-Control" features.

Blu Ray: 4.5/5
Audio/Video: 5/5
Bonus Features: 4.5/5
Film: 5/5

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
531 Films, 365 Days: Day 29, Film #35 - Separate Tables

Hill-Hecht-Lancaster Productions, 1958
Genre: Drama
Director: Delbert Mann
Starring: David Niven, Wendy Hiller, Burt Lancaster, Rita Hayworth, Deborah Kerr, Rod Taylor
Run Time: 1h 40m
Best Quote: “The trouble about being on the side of right, as one sees it, is that one often finds oneself in the company of such very questionable allies.” – Mr. Fowler

At the Beauregard Hotel in Bournemoth, England, several long-term tenants live a quiet, lonely existence. Among them are old Major Pollock (David Niven), Mrs. Railton-Bell and her Daughter, Sibyl (Deborah Kerr), alcoholic John Malcolm (Burt Lancaster), and the hotel’s administrator, Pat Cooper (Wendy Hiller).

The hotel’s quiet day to day order is disrupted when Ann Shankland (Rita Hayworth) comes to spend the night… and see John Malcolm, her ex-husband.

However, scandal rocks the quiet hotel when it is revealed that the “Major” was found guilty of sexual harrasment. Some of the residents want him expelled from the hotel.

Meanwhile, Ann and John fight, and fall in love again, while spinster Sibyl must deal with her overbearing mother and her lack of courage in standing up to her.

As the residents of the Beauregard hotel deal with the skeletons in their closets, we learn that there are friends where we least expect them, and you don’t have be at your own separate table.

David Niven is and underrated actor, with many terrific performances to his credit. He gives a very sad, understated performance in this poignant film. A short performance, but nonetheless powerful. You really feel for the man; the sadness pours out of him.

Niven is another one of my favorite actors; I love his accent, his mannerisms. I wonder if this nomination and award are a make-up for not nominating him for Around the World in 80 Days?

On the other hand, Wendy Hiller won the Oscar for playing the hotel administer. In her own words, she said, “All you could see of me in the picture was the back of my head. Unless they give some award for acting with one's back to the camera, I don't see how I could have won.” I can’t either. While we see more of her than just the back of her head, her performance is still simple and without substance.

Burt Lancaster, Rita Hayworth and Deborah Kerr all give fine performances, and help make this picture a powerful little drama with an important message.

The Blu Ray

Kino’s 2014 Blu Ray may have been passed over by Twilight Time, and for good reason.

Some scenes in the film look very good, and crystal clear, and then others look terrible, with a huge layer of film grain that looks like snow blanketing the picture. There are artifacts present throughout the film, now and again, and even one quick scratch. This film defiantly needs a good restoration. It isn’t a terrible picture, but not great. Watchable? Very much so.

The audio is in need of a remaster, too. At some points, I could hear faint hiss, and maybe even some crackle/pops. For the most part though, the sound is good.

Bonus Features

There are only two bonus features on this Blu Ray, ported over from the DVD: an audio commentary with director Delbert Mann, and the film’s trailer.

Blu Ray: 3.5/5
Audio/video: 3/5
Film: 4.5/5

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
531 Films, 365 Days: Day 30, Film #37 - Around the World in Eighty Days

View Date: 1/30/16
Michael Todd Company, 1956
Genre: Comedy
Rated: G
Director: Michael Anderson, John Farrow
Starring: David Niven, Cantinflas
Run Time: 2h 55m
Best Quote: “Crisis or no, nothing should interfere with tea!” – Phileas Fogg

Eccentric Brit Phileas Fogg makes a £20,000 wager that he can travel around the globe in 80 days. With his loyal valet Passepartout at his side, Fogg will use balloons, elephants, ships and trains to complete his journey, meeting a wide variety of colorful characters along the way.

Around the World in Eighty Days Is a fun romp across the world, based on the classic 1873 novel by acclaimed French author Jules Vern. The film stars one of my favorite actors, David Niven, who is the perfect Phileas Fogg; he has the right mannerisms and the perfect accent to pull off the lead character of Michael Todd's big-budget extravaganza. Eighty Days is filled with colorful costumes, exotic locals and "more stars than there are in heavens." Not quite, but the number of cameos (Michael Todd coined the term to get stars to appear in this film) is extraordinary. Everyone from Buster Keaton to Noel Coward to Frank Sinatra appear, and make the film a wonderful piece of cinema.
With its grand shots of the ocean, wild-west mountain passes, the jungle, varied and beautiful landscapes, this film is just what one might imagine when reading the book. It does have a sort of "studio backlot" look to it at times, but it was very well edited so we get that amazing "around the world" feeling.
One of my favorite parts of the movie is the whimsical animations at the end. Like It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, these animations are cute and fun, and add a nice touch to the end of an already fantastic picture. By the way, my favorite of all the animations is the clock with legs... kills me every time.
While this film is certainly one of the best of the year, I feel it isn't "The best". That honor, to me, goes to The Ten Commandments. But that doesn't take away from how wonderful, even magical, this film is. I can't recommend this film enough. This is a perfect 3h hour escape that won't leave you disappointed. But be sure to watch this film. Not the 2004 Disney version.
The DVD
Ah yes, the DVD. When Warners released the 2-disc DVD set in 2005, they released a good product. However, this transfer is in dire need of restoration, as there are artifacts, spots and debris throughout the picture. In some scenes, the blue sky looks a touch brown. The colors are a bit faded. This technicolor masterpiece will sparkle on Blu Ray with at least a 2k scan, color correction and removal of the dirt and artifacts.
I hope Warners is aware of this film's 60th anniversary. This is one title I (and I know several others on this forum) are eagerly awaiting this year. Perhaps some friendly letters of encouragement to Warners/Warner Archives?
The audio was supposedly remastered in 5.1 for the DVD release, however, I think it could be cleaned up a bit more for the Blu Ray release, if we get one. I din't find much wrong with the current soundtrack, but for the Blu Ray, this Best Picture deserves the best.
Bonus Features
There are a few on the 2-disc set.
First are two introductions by Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osbourne: One to the film, the other to a 1968 documentary Around the World of Mike Todd, that tells of his life and focuses on this film, with interviews from several, including a younger Elizabeth Taylor (Who even manages to show off a 29 carat bauble he purchased for her).
Also included is Playhouse 90 excerpts from the film's one-year anniversary, as well as newsreel footage from the Oscars and premier.

Then we have outtakes, a photo galley, and theatrical trailers.

The last bonus, which is a good one, is Georges Méliès
A Trip to the Moon, which is a favorite short film of mine. However, the version included here is not the full 12m film, but, rather, a cut version running about 5m, which is really too bad. I think, on the Blu Ray, they could include the full color version.
DVD: 4/5
Audio/Video: 3.5/5
Bonus Features: 5/5

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
531 Films, 365 Days: Day 31, Film #38 - Pygmalion

View Date: 1/31/16
Gabriel Pascal Productions, 1938
Genre: Romantic Comedy (?)
Rated: G
Director: Anthony Asquith, Leslie Howard
Starring: Leslie Howard, Wendy Hiller, Scott Sunderland
Run Time: 1h 29m
Best Quote: “Yes, you squashed cabbage leaf, you disgrace to the noble architecture of these columns, you incarnate insult to the English language, I could pass you off as the Queen of Sheba!” – 'enry 'iggins

Based on George Bernard Shaw's classic play, Pygmalion has dialect expert Professor Henry Higgins meeting cockney flower-girl Eliza Doolittle, on whom he makes a wager that he help her speak proper English turn her into a lady.

This film, the first time I saw it, was a pleasant surprise. I love Shaw's dialogue, his knack for insults, the ones Higgins spews at Eliza. "Cease your detestable boohooing!", "Slum prudery", "Draggle-tailed gutter-snipe!", "Wilted cabbage leaf", and so-on. I love how Leslie Howard delivers these lines; fast and effective. I love hearing them. It's fun.

The film, as a whole, is very well put together. Compared to My Fair Lady (which I viewed after this, and will review soon), this film is quick, and to the point. It runs about half the length of its musical remake, and star Leslie Howard is just as good as Rex Harrison, and Wendy Hiller, who looks cute and pretty in this film, is just as good, maybe a little better (Gasp!), than Audrey Hepburn.

So what are you waiting for, you detestable insect? Go watch this film!

The DVD

Criterion released this film on DVD in 2000 and as an Essential Art House title in 2009. I would think they used the same transfer for both, but I don't know. At any rate, the picture is somewhat bad for a Criterion release, but then again this was a 62 year old film when they released it in 2000, so the picture is going to have some problems. There are artifacts throughout the film, big and small. Greyscale is quite good, as is contrast, and the overall picture is crisp. If to be released in Blu Ray, I should think they would have to removed most, if not all of the debris/artifacts...

Criterion's website says "Gorgeous new transfer, with digitally restored image and sound." I don't know; the picture does look very good, aside from all of the debris and artifacts.

The audio is decent, but there is some hiss and crackle if the volume is turned up high enough.

The whole film could use a new scan restoration for both picture and sound, if it is going to be released on Blu Ray.

Bonus Features:

None. Not even the trailer. the only thing is a booklet in the DVD case.

DVD: 3.75/5

Audio/video: 3.75/5
Bonus Features: 0.5/5
Film: 4/5

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just a little personal story:

When My Fair Lady was released, The Charlotte News, the local afternoon newspaper, had a contest giving away copies of the soundtrack album to the first three people who wrote in with the correct answer to one question. (Postmark determined time of entry.)

The trivia question was: who played Eliza in the 1938 film version of Pygmalion. Needless to say, My Fair Lady was one soundtrack album I didn't have to buy. It cost me the price of a sheet of paper, an envelope, and a postage stamp (probably a four cent stamp back then) plus the gas for my mom to drive me uptown to the post office to mail my entry..

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
531 Films, 365 Days: Day 29, Film #35 - Separate Tables

Hill-Hecht-Lancaster Productions, 1958
Genre: Drama
Director: Delbert Mann
Starring: David Niven, Wendy Hiller, Burt Lancaster, Rita Hayworth, Deborah Kerr, Rod Taylor
Run Time: 1h 40m
Best Quote: “The trouble about being on the side of right, as one sees it, is that one often finds oneself in the company of such very questionable allies.” – Mr. Fowler

At the Beauregard Hotel in Bournemoth, England, several long-term tenants live a quiet, lonely existence. Among them are old Major Pollock (David Niven), Mrs. Railton-Bell and her Daughter, Sibyl (Deborah Kerr), alcoholic John Malcolm (Burt Lancaster), and the hotel’s administrator, Pat Cooper (Wendy Hiller).

The hotel’s quiet day to day order is disrupted when Ann Shankland (Rita Hayworth) comes to spend the night… and see John Malcolm, her ex-husband.

However, scandal rocks the quiet hotel when it is revealed that the “Major” was found guilty of sexual harrasment. Some of the residents want him expelled from the hotel.

Meanwhile, Ann and John fight, and fall in love again, while spinster Sibyl must deal with her overbearing mother and her lack of courage in standing up to her.

As the residents of the Beauregard hotel deal with the skeletons in their closets, we learn that there are friends where we least expect them, and you don’t have be at your own separate table.

David Niven is and underrated actor, with many terrific performances to his credit. He gives a very sad, understated performance in this poignant film. A short performance, but nonetheless powerful. You really feel for the man; the sadness pours out of him.

Niven is another one of my favorite actors; I love his accent, his mannerisms. I wonder if this nomination and award are a make-up for not nominating him for Around the World in 80 Days?

On the other hand, Wendy Hiller won the Oscar for playing the hotel administer. In her own words, she said, “All you could see of me in the picture was the back of my head. Unless they give some award for acting with one's back to the camera, I don't see how I could have won.” I can’t either. While we see more of her than just the back of her head, her performance is still simple and without substance.

Burt Lancaster, Rita Hayworth and Deborah Kerr all give fine performances, and help make this picture a powerful little drama with an important message.

The Blu Ray

Kino’s 2014 Blu Ray may have been passed over by Twilight Time, and for good reason.

Some scenes in the film look very good, and crystal clear, and then others look terrible, with a huge layer of film grain that looks like snow blanketing the picture. There are artifacts present throughout the film, now and again, and even one quick scratch. This film defiantly needs a good restoration. It isn’t a terrible picture, but not great. Watchable? Very much so.

The audio is in need of a remaster, too. At some points, I could hear faint hiss, and maybe even some crackle/pops. For the most part though, the sound is good.

Bonus Features

There are only two bonus features on this Blu Ray, ported over from the DVD: an audio commentary with director Delbert Mann, and the film’s trailer.

Blu Ray: 3.5/5
Audio/video: 3/5

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I respectfully disagree with you about Ms. Hiller's performance. I think she was being humble about her winning the award. She was a very knowing, subtle actress who did wonders through minimal acting. This is one such performance.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I respectfully disagree with you about Ms. Hiller's performance. I think she was being humble about her winning the award. She was a very knowing, subtle actress who did wonders through minimal acting. This is one such performance.

Wendy Hiller is among my favourite actresses. Loved her in the two roles Warren covered above, and especially in her role in the Archers' I Know Where I'm Going (which needs to be on Blu-ray) and in my all-time favourite film - A Man For All Seasons - which Warren will no doubt visit at some point in his marathon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks