51SWX20B and Vertical Limit

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan S, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Yesterday I was in CC looking at TV's, doing research. After the great review in SGHT for the Hitachi 51SWX20B, I was checking out that model. They had Vertical Limit playing (non-superbit) on this set as well as two other 4X3 displays right next to it. Vertical Limit as we all know is 1.85/1 aspect ratio.

I'm kinda a newbie when it comes to 16X9 displays, but what I saw was weird. There was SIGNIFICANT black bars on the widescreen display...almost as large as what was on the 4X3 display right next to it (same screen size). The features of the actors appeared stretched out left to right as if the TV was in stretch mode or something. I thought maybe the title wasn't anamorphic, but it is.

I got the sales guy to adjust the TV...it was in 16X9 standard mode. He had to go to 16X9 enhanced to get the image to approximate what I would expect from a 1.85/1 aspect ratio, but I felt like the sides were getting cut off by doing this.

Talk to me like a 5 year old. I thought in standard 16X9 mode that a 1.78/1 ratio filled the screen and a 1.85/1 ratio was very close to that. You have to go to 2.35/1 before you should get significant black bars. But this was not what I was seeing. Could this be a problem with the DVD player's output? Anyone have any links to what approximates a normal display on widescreen for various AR's? Thanks. I just get the feeling something wasn't right.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The DVD player was likely set to 4:3 output.

Regards

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I thought of that...but remember that the display was showing on both the widescreen 51SWX20B as well as two 4x3 displays right next to it. If the player was set to 4X3 output, wouldn't a full frame display have shown up on the two 4X3 models? But it wasn't...it had black bars almost as large as on the Hitachi.

4. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

It was set to 4:3 output.

Go into menu of DVD player and set it for 16X9.

Then, you won't have bars on either tv, but the widescreen will look right, and the 4:3 set will look stretched top to bottom.