51H84: Should I have any final reservations?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Wesley S, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Wesley S

Wesley S Stunt Coordinator

I've decided to purchase the Toshiba 51H84 from my readings here. I want to thank everyone for the information they shared.

Now my question is. I want to order from OneCall.com. They are offering the set for $1454 total as opposed to BBs $1699(before tax). Is this a fair price for this set or should I wait. I'm not sure if prices are allow to be discussed so if they aren't I apologize in advance but I'm just trying to figure out whats a decent price compared to what others paid.

Also are there any reservations from Ordering from Onecall? I seem to have found good remarks regarding purchases there from members here but just getting the final check. I guess making a large purchase like this online makes me a bit shaky.

The way I looked at is was whether I bought it at BB or online, if the thing needs repair (hope not) then they would both send the same service guy out.

Thanks for any input

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

When you buy it locally, you have the option of taking the whole thing back to the store for an exchange ...

When done on line ... you have to live with it and follow normal repair procedures ... (Even if you got one of the lemon sets.)

Regards

3. Wesley S

Thanks Michael

Thats my only reservation on this purchase. Being able to return it. But I belive the only reason I'd return it would be because I don't like the set. I've checked it out, I like the picture, read nothing but great stuff about this set. BestBuy is the closest of all stores that carry this locally and it's over an hour away. Not to mention when we had to return my father's 36" (long thread about that here about 2 years ago) it was a complete hassle.

I guess either way you go it has it's +/-. But unless BB will offer this set cheaper it's not worth the money (IMO) to buy it locally. The same service tech would be sent to my house no matter who I buy it through. I've already checked on that. Not to mention Onecall will deliver whereas BestBuy won't.

4. John S

John S Producer

I got my 60" online. I was happy with the deal, delivered to my house, and no sales taxes on it. Results may vary. [​IMG]

5. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Best Buy often sends out 10% off coupons, there are some for this week, which if $1699 is their regular price, the 10% off price would be $1529, which is closer to the Onecall price.

Also, Best Buy isn't the only place that sells TVs. Check around with other electronic superstores, and mention the 10% Best Buy price and ask them to beat it. You'll probably get under $1500 easily.

6. Wesley S

Here's my situation.
    Onecall's price delivered to my house w/3yr service warranty is $1613.10.

BestBuy's price right now is $1699 + $76.45 tax + $249 warranty = $2024
    Even with 10% off it's $1529 + $68.80 tax + $249 warranty = $1846.

Almost $233 difference. Now I know the service warranty is a debateable issue here but Onecalls is only $159 and they refund 50% of the warranty cost if you don't use it. So if I have no problems I'm paying $26.50 a year for piece of mind and if I do have problems I'm covered. It's very inconvenient for me to return anything local because there isn't really anything local. I don't own a truck either so I'd have to borrow one. I guess I'm taking a risk of not liking this tv but I feel I've done the proper research and although I never would, I would be comfortable making a blind buy based on the choices you guys make with your TVs. For example I feel I could come on here, read what the favorite TVs are in my price range. Come to a conclusing to what I should buy and be happy with the set without ever seeing it in person first. Again I never would but having a place like this to come to is invalueable to people who actually care about what they purchase vs. just walking into a store and buying based on whats on the shelf.

7. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

The only other option is to take the ONECALL add to best buy and try to do a preice match. I did this and saved a bundle from Best buy.

Best buy should match the price of the tv at least and give you and extra 10% off. 1699 - 1454 = 245

245 + 10% = 269

1699 - 269 = 1429.

Try that out.

8. Wesley S

Thanks Ryan,

I actually did that the night before. I will give give the BB guys credit because they tried like heck to convince their manager to do the match. Unfortunately BB was the only place in my area that even had this TV in stock and they had to send it from their warehouse.

They said with warranty they'd only make $234 on the set and they just couldn't do that.

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

That's more than 10%...lots of dealers would be happy to take that! I used to end up with a 10% margin on most of the sets I sold.

10. Wesley S

I wish they were like you JohnnyG. I guess the whole internet e-tailer thing is what probably did the deal in. But I can't blame them. In an area like ours where there is no competition the next guy will buy the set I would have purchased at a discount at full price.

11. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Well, either way you purchase it, you will be extremely happy with this set. Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) When it gets delivered, let is sit, either in the box or out, for about 3 hours to adjust to room temperature. It says about 7 in the manual, and the delivery guys told me 2, I had not problems with 3.

2) Take the tv out of torch mode right off the bat. Weirdly enough my tv wasn't in torch mode when I had it delivered. All the settings were already at 50% when I turned it on. I popped in a movie and let it play for about 1.5 hours before I did a touchfocus and used Avia.

3)You'll find that over the first wee or two, you will have to use touchfocus and the user convergence a number of times while the tv breaks in. After that, you can/should try a service level convergence. I find that the user convergence slips a little on a regular basis.

4)treat this think like gold and it will give you gold. This TV is awesome.

Have fun, and enjoy.

12. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Stores that consistently get 10% above cost don't stay around long. There's something called overhead ... that has to be looked after. And regretfully, 10% didn't help JohnnyG's store either. [​IMG]

Regards

13. Wesley S

Thanks Ryan,

I ended up ordering it last night online. I just couldn't justify the extra $400 buying it locally. I may think twice later [​IMG] but it's my choice and I'll have to live with it. But lets be positive here [​IMG]

One thing of note that I think I will do no matter what is. The guy told me upon delivery that I should note "Possible unforseeable damage" on the ticket if the box was damaged. I think i will write this on my ticket no matter what. Because if the delivery guys don't stick around to see the product there could possibly be damage even though the box may look fine (this was the case with my dryer from BB).

I have my AVIA disc on the way (be here the 15th). I'm going to order HDMI cables later today to have those on their way.

I do have one question about the convergence. This is something I'm not familiar with. I sort of understand what it does. The Toshiba website mentions 56pt test but I've heard others say it's a 9pt test. Is the 56pt test in the service menu?

14. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Wesley

I have the 65H84 and you do not have to go into the service menu to do the 56 point convergence. There is a button on the front panel called Touch Focus that you push and the TV does the rest. I got my H84 October 1st, and have only converged it once. There does not seem to be a need to perform convergence often.

Artie

15. Wesley S

Oh so it's totally automatic? Thats pretty cool.

16. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The touch focus is a system that "sort of works" ... as it has limited capability.

It may have been perfect coming from the factory, but once they shipped it to One Call and then back to you ... stuff happens. It is very likely that the sheer amount of vibration that the set has gone through would have thrown out the TF's ability to fix the convergence ...

Don't be surprised if you have to do it manually first (and then save the changes to the TF ... thus resetting it to the new conditions).

regards

17. Wesley S

Ok.

Is there something I could search for or something that explains convergence in a little detail before I get the set?

18. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Keohihdtv site has information on navigation ...

The only changes are the method of entering the service menu ...

whether you press mute 2 or 3 times ...

regards

19. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Ok...here is the scoop on the service convergence.

First, don't do it for a couple of days. Play with the user convergence first. When you hit Touchfocus you will see some coloured lines move acros the screen. That is the computer aligning the guns.

Than a grid of crosses come up and this allows you to fine tune the convergence of Blue and Red. The green automatically stay the same.

Touch focus is not perfect. But if you go into the service menu you can now do a complete convergence and adjust the green, red and blue guns. When you do the service level convergence and save it, it overwrites the program for touchfocus with this new and more accurate info. But I would wait until you've practiced a few times with the user convergence (especially if you have never done one before).

20. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

When you turned it on for the first time, did it go through the set-up wizard (or whatever they call it)...asking you several questions about what types of connection you have?

If not, you can only conclude that your new TV was not so new!