51H83 or 51HX83 ???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Greg L, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Greg L

Greg L Extra

Hi All;

Well - after searching the forums for a couple of weeks Ive decided to go with a Toshiba 51" RPTV as my next set. Now - I have to decide between the 51H83 and the 51HX83. Problem is - no one has really been able to explain the difference to me. The "sales rep's" at Future Shop and Best Buy are exactly that sales people and not product reps.

I am looking at about a C$400 difference in price between the two units. I'll go the extra $$$ if I beleive the difference is worthwhile, however, I don't know what the differences are. The only difference I know of for sure is that the remotes are different, however, that doesn't matter as I will be using my Sony RMAV-3000 to run the tv with.

I've searched the forums and haven't found a definitive answer - hence this post. Can anyone help me out with this = please! I want to make sure I have all the info I need to make the right decision on this one.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

So what did the sales reps tell you? as best buy doesn't carry the HX's, I would doubt they'd try to sell you on them [​IMG]
    The differences are an anti reflective screen (which side by side seems to make absolutely no difference), the HX has a better sound/speaker system (but if you have HT, no biggie) and one last thing that may make a difference to you. The HX has 'upgraded' guns that apparently focus differently (again, I couldn't tell the difference) and apparently they last longer, so that may make you feel better.
    Personally I put the money towards a 5 year warranty and I figure I'll be upgrading not soon after that so the HX wasn't worth it to me.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

As noted, the HX has different CRTs with a higher resolution (finer beam spot size) and an 'impregnated cathode' that resists deterioration like a tradition design does. So, theoretically at least, the picture should be just as bright and sharp 5 years from now as it is when new. Regular CRTs are said to lose 10% of the brightness year over year.

On top of the CRTs, the HX has a wider video amplifier bandwidth which passes the full HD resolution to the picture tubes (30MHz vs. 20MHz).

The picture is great on either set, but if you see them side by side (calibrated would be best), the HX has a clearly sharper image with HD material.

IMHO, extended warranties are a waste of money on a set like this. Any major repairs are generally past the 5 year mark - after the extended warranty runs out. It should be noted that the CRTs are covered by Toshiba for 2 years. FS usually neglects to mention this.