What's new

50XBR800 - Where to place center channel? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Tesh

Auditioning
This has really been bugging me. Where do you guys Grand Wega owners place your center channel? I've wanted to get the 50xbr800, but the unavailable space to place the center channel has put me off.

Placing it on a mounted shelf is not an option as it's too heavy (manufacturer suggests not to do either). Put it on the stand underneath will be a very poor placement as it will be just about 2" off the floor. Not to mention that I haven't had any luck finding a stand that has shelf space wide enough for my center channel.

I would love to have this baby, but also do not want to sacrifice the audio accuracy. Any wisdom to share will be greatly appreciated!

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
A common setup I have seen for putting centers below a larger screen is to buy a pair of stands and put one under each end of the center. This offers much greater support (which center do you have btw?) And if its a bit low, you can always put very small rubber risers under the front of the center to give it a slight upwards tilt. Hope this helps.

Paul_Tesh

Auditioning
I appreciate your suggestion. I've tried the upward-tilt method. But due to the fact that the speaker was so close to the floor, the tilting didn't help much. The dialouge seems really non-directional (is this the right word??). It's clearly inferior to my current setup - placed directly on top of the TV (slightly tilted downward).

The height of the stand that is suitable for this 50xbr800 (and my viewing distance) will also eliminate the option of putting the speaker in front of the screen. It will definitely partially block the TV as well as hindering the access to other stereo equiments.

It would be a shame if I have to steer away from this TV just because I cannot have it with the same audio qualities. :frowning:

My center channel is Polk CS400i. It's bigger (height-wise) than most centers I've seen.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Paul. I'm a fellow Polkie myself (only have the CS245i for my center now [and am loving it] but plan to try and find someone selling a CS400i sooner or later). I know that center you have is a monster.

Hmmm...one other idea I can think of. You said a shelf wasn't recommended? Personally I think a well done shelf would work...but you could try to make/find 1 or 2 really, really tall stand (or even a bookcase) to put directly behind the TV, but a little taller and putting the center on it. These are just ideas since I have no idea how you will actually have things setup.

Paul_Tesh

Auditioning
Shaun, thanks again for the suggestion. The speaker is so heavy that I wouldn't be comfortable letting the wall handle the weight (especially when Polk itself says against it).

Placing the speaker on the stands behind the TV is perhaps impossible as the stands must be at least 60" tall (20" TV stand + 38" TV height).

Finding a very tall bookshelf to have the CS400i sitting on might have been a solution if my room would allow this setup. But my viewing distance is only 7' with the back of the TV already 1" off the wall. No more room. This setup would also put the center too higher up than the pair of my main (LSi9 on 24" stands). I appreciate your idea though.

What funny is whenever I see showcase of the GWII, I never see it with the display of center channel. As if no one ever care for the center channel anymore when you have this 50" in front of you??

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
What's funny is whenever I see showcase of the GWII, I never see it with the display of center channel. As if no one ever care for the center channel anymore when you have this 50" in front of you
And notice there's never any wires!

The CC problem is the same in eyeing a Samsung DLP narrow footprint display. My current CC is 8 inches high. I might find stand in which a center glass tray can be removed...but this wud be a compromise. I am at the point of thinking of trying to sell my entire surround speaker set-up just to achieve a small CC so I can buy one of these monitors. What a dilemma!

Paul_Tesh

Auditioning
At sonystyle.com guess where they place the tiny Center Channel in their Plasma showcase? Right on the floor in front of the TV stand! Yuckk.. :confused:

Exactly, Bill, there has never been one single wire to be seen on such displays.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Its a issue with GW'w.
And since your height from floor should TOPS be 21 inches on the stand that holds it ...your sunk. These particular models sit MUCH lower than the old big box RP, due to VA on the vertical you can't increase that distance without ruining the pic quality.
I went for the display anyway. And have a Vienna Acoustics Maestro Center on a shelf above the display.

Our Centers match in weight..30pds.
We debated and debated and finally went with the shelf.
Since our display sits in a corner himself built a triangular shaped shelf very sturdy (stained and matched to the cabinet the display sits on. And screwed into 2 studs.

...make sure if you decide ...its the only way..(you have to have both your polk and this display)....to find those studs!!!!

One problem here with imaging. I was not around when he set the height of the shelf on the wall. It's too high.. and we are going to have to move it down eventually (reparing holes). His [theory] while I was gone, was that since the shelf was set back behind plane of the face of the display, if he set it too low the sound would radiate down boucning off the the back of the display. Where he just 'decided' to screw the shelf into, - as 'high' as it is and 'back' it plays havoc with my front soundstage,, be careful if you go this route, regardless of the hassle of 30 pds of speaker holding. That you figure out 'height' of shelf first before installing. He's going to replace the triangle shelf with a matching walnut straight across the front of the display corner to cr. So that the face of the speaker will be on the same plane of the display (avoiding) radiating down behind it, and bringing it much lower. I really hated to reduce the plasma effect of this screen by installing a shelf above....what we will do for sound!

The display was made to 'look like' a plasma on a tabletop. Having builtin cabnatry fab-ed around all 4 sides could take care of the speaker issue. But defeats the look!

Problamatic!

Paul_Tesh

Auditioning
Mary, I appreciate your advice. I will give it some serious thoughts. Yes, it does defeat the purpose of having 'plasma-like' look. But I can't compromise by sacrificing the sound quality either. Woo...what a problem!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks