50HXD82 vs. 50H82?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Miller, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Agent

Probably been discussed ad nauseum, but the search function is down. What's the major diff b/w these two? BB has a 2-year finance plan that's hard to pass up, but they only have the 50H82. Would I be missing out on a lot with that model?

2. John Burton

John Burton Stunt Coordinator

John
    I've been looking at the Toshibas also, and I think I would wait for the HDX models. The CRT's seem to be bigger, giving you a better picture, and I've noticed the HDX model has a wider field of vision. I think the effect is called "beaming" where you move up or down, left of right of the center, and the picture dims. The HDX has a wider range.

3. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

I looked at both sets in the last few months deciding on which one to get. I thought both had great pictures but there was something about the HDX model that kept drawing me to it. After finally getting the hdx i realized it was the overall contrast. blacks were better and colors were sharper. I also was afraid to get a tv that didn't have a DVI port. My wife would kill me if i paid that much for a tv and the next year it was obsolete[​IMG] also the hdx has a better glare screen, better lenses(5 elements) and the they use a different style of gun. plus the cabinet looks more appealing to me.

You might want to check on-line. i got my set (a 50hdx82) for $1909 from onecall.com. and that was with 1 year no payments and no interest. i think the total bill with shipping and 5 year extended warranty was $3400. I was nervous ordering something that big and expensive online. But so far everything is great. im glad i did it!!![​IMG] i saved $400 bucks over buying it locally.

4. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Agent

So without this DVI port, it will be obsolete? I'm a bit new to exploring HD, so can someone explain? I thought it was analog TV's that would be dinosaurs, not a supposed HDTV!

5. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

do a search on "dvi hdcp" and you will see what i got worried about. I dont have time right now to post some links but i will try later.