50hx70 picture not right

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Kim, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Dan Kim

Dan Kim Auditioning

When objects move quickly on my screen I can see a trail of the picture follow behind the moving object(just like when u put a trail on your microsoft windows pointer) when I watch dvds. It is the most noticeable when they are large faces on the screen, probably because they are the brightest objects on the screen. At first I thought it was my panasonic DVD-A110. But I also see it on Playstation 2 when I watch DVDs. I don't seem to notice it when I watch cable TV. Anybody know what is going on? Or what I can do? It's driving me crazy.

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Is your set properly calibrated? Could you specify some clips? I have the same set and do not see this artifact.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. Dan Kim

Dan Kim Auditioning

The only tweak I've ever done is the service level convergence. I'm curious as to what type of calibrations could make a difference in this case. Could it be a focus problem (I really don't know b/c I'm quite new to this). It is really quite noticeable in James Bond: The World Is Not Enough, during the boat chase scene near the beginning of the movie. It is most noticeable when there are close ups of their faces when they are bouncing on the waves.
    Thanx

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I was referring to picture adjustments (brightness, contrast, etc.) I have to assume that since you dove into the service convergence system that you have also calibrated with Avia or Video Essentials. I was thinking that the contrast could have been too high. Maybe there's something going on with the set's deinterlacer. See if you can borrow a progressive scan DVD player - demo the same scenes and if they're not there (but return when you switch to interlaced output) this may be the culprit.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

5. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

Dan, I believe what you're seeing is a combination between the Toshiba's line doubler (upconverting to 480P) and the down converting of the anamorphic image from your DVD player.
    I noticed this too when I recently auditioned projection sets.
    I may be totally off base, but that was my initial impression. I'm new at this stuff too, so please don't take my word as gospel [​IMG]
    Mass

6. Dan Kim

Dan Kim Auditioning

So if this is the case, what can I do? Do I need to buy a progressive scan dvd player? Is that what u guys are telling me? Or is it the de-interlacer in my t.v. that is broken?

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Is it a smooth smeared trail or it is a series of ghosts trailing behind? HOw many?
    A mediocre de-interlacer in the TV or DVD player can cause this although usually no more than one ghost. This is caused by forming full progressive scan video frames by merging two consecutive fields and the content of the fields is non matching due to subject movement.
    If the phosphors on the picture tube have an unusually long persistence, you get this problem and it sometimes looks like a smooth smeared trail. Try reducing the contrast.
    Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm